My baby red ear slider will not eat anything.I got him about 4 weeks ago,I had in a tank with another red eared slider

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My baby red ear slider will not eat anything.I got him about 4 weeks ago,I had in a tank with another red eared slider but he was not getting any food so I separated them. I have the baby in a 10 gallon tank now he won't eat anything. Please help
Answered by Jav917 in 45 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. I do need to ask some questions to best assist you. Please do not rate my service until I give you a complete answer.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet?

Supplements?

Filtration?

UVB light, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

Joan

Customer
My turtles diet is reptomin food sticks,he is in a 10 gallon aquarium. I use a whisper 10 filter and I use all naturals gravel.the age of the bulbs are a month old

I need to know if the bulb is a linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?

This is very important information to help your turtle.

Customer
I have a uva bulb and a uvb bulb both are 50 watt and are exo terra brand

Hello, I do not believe you have a UVB Bulb which a common problem when getting pet from the petshop. The UVB bulbs are rated 5.0, 8.0 or 10.0 and are either a linear tube or a compact coil. THis bulb is required for the health of the turtle and can cause the inactivity as well as health issues. The UVB works with a calcium supplement to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. The tank they sold you is too small too and the diet is wrong. I am going to give you a care sheet that was composed by a fellow expert Anna and myself it goes ovet the proper diet as well as all that is needed to have a health turtle.

Well-cared for sliders can live 30 years or more.

The Tank

It's recommended that a baby slider have at least a 15 gallon tank. By the time the turtle is 3-4 years old, it will need a 60 gallon tank, so it's best to get the biggest you can in the beginning. You can also use a large RubberMaid tote. That's not as pretty as a tank, but costs a lot less. Set up the tank so there's a land area and a water area. Put the basking light at one end so the whole tank doesn’t get too hot. You want the water to be about twice as deep as the turtle is long. If the turtle is two inches long, you'll want four inches of water.

Temperatures and Basking Area

Turtles need certain types of lighting and need to be warm. Air and water that are not warm enough can lead to fungal and respiratory infections and unhealthy shells. Turtles must have a basking area where they can get out of the water, dry off, and bask in very warm light. The ambient air temperature in the tank should be around 75 *F (24*C) , with the basking area warmer still. Over the basking area there should be some sort of lamp that will take a 40-60 watt incandescent bulb (or you can buy a ceramic light fixture made just for reptiles). If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware stores sell similar fixtures as work lights. The basking area should be kept at 85-90*F (29 to 32*C). Use a digital probe thermometer to be sure. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the light fixture.The lights that come with the covers on aquariums are not suitable for turtles. You'll also need a submersible aquarium heater that will keep the water 78-82*F (26 to 28*C).

UVB Light

It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, sunGlo, UV, or UVA are not the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to your turtle's health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because your turtle won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death.UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out most of the rays turtles need to stay healthy. To prevent MBD, turtles also need calcium. The easiest way to provide it is to place a cuttlebone in the tank. Cuttlebones are sold in bird departments of pet stores.

Filtration

Turtles are very sensitive to water quality. Even if you change the water every day, it can still contain harmful chemicals. A good filtration system is essential. Water changes are also needed even with a filter. If the tank is too small, no filter can keep up with the amount of waste that turtles produce.

Feeding

Feeding is an area where pet stores often give out bad information. Commercial food should make up only 1/4 of the diet. Animal products (cooked meat, earthworms, canned cat food) should make up another 1/4. The remaining half should be plant foods (dark lettuce like romaine, bits of strawberry or melon, etc.). Hatchlings should be fed every day. Older turtles should be fed 3 times per week. Overfeeding can lead to gout and kidney failure.

For Further Reading

This is among the most reputable sites on turtles.

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-yellowbelly.htm

Customer
Thanks

Please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars if I have addressed your concerns. I do not get paid by the site until I have been rated.

Customer
When should I replace my turtles uvb bulb.
Customer
Can a bad uvb bulb be the cause.

I see you have requested a phone call. I would be happy to do this but do want to alsert you the site does charge an extra charge before I send the offer for extra service.

Joan

Customer
Could a bad uvb bulb be the cause.

I suspect what the pet shop sold you is not a UVB bulb and that could be a major portion of the problem. If it was not a UVB light that was sold to you, a correct bulb would be needed to make sure the turtle is getting adequate UVB. Without UVB and a Calcium supplement, the turtles would get Metabolic Bone Disease: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

Customer
I have a uvb light I just haven't changed it for a while

Did you want me to call today? Please supply a time and time zone and we can discuss this further.

Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Red Ear Slider. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.