Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

My daughter and I bought houses one is lake front, and the

Customer Question

My daughter and I bought houses one is lake front, and the other is canal front properties, in Fort Myers Fl. I understand they might have alligators, how dangerous is to live so close to the water with alligators there?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. Alligators are a mainstay in Florida and you will find them in most neighbor lakes and ponds. As far as dangerous, you have to be careful of dogs and cats as they will see them as a prey item and go after them if they get close to the waters edge. Gators normally will not attack people unless they are in the water and in the gators territory. From time to time we do see them come up on land and do toward a home, or sometimes see then wind up in a pool. It is important to supervise small children and keep them away from the water. If your family follows the rules about not feeding the Gators, stay a good distance from the water, keep animals away from the water , there should not be any worries.

Joan