I have a crested gecko who has trouble climbing holding onto me and he doesn't eat much and I don't know what's wrong

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a crested gecko who has trouble climbing holding onto me and he doesn't eat much and I don't know what's wrong
Answered by Jav917 in 20 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue. I need to ask some questions before answering to get some background on husbandry and diet. Please do not rate until I give an actual answer.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Supplements?

What type of diet are you feeding?

can you check his calcium reserves> They are in the back of the throat and look like two bumps.

Type of substrate you are using?

Humidity?

Joan

Customer
He's in a 24 x 18x 18 exo terra tall terrarium. I feed him live dubia roaches once a week with calcium powder and through out the rest if the week a mix of fresh fruits and crested gecko diet. I also have exo terra plantation soil I keep his temperature around 75-78 degrees Fahrenheit and his humidity around 65-70% humidity.

The Crested needs to have calcium 5 days a week and vitamin 2 days a week. They should be kept on Repashy Crested gecko dies which is a complete diet specially formulated for Cresties. The dubia roaches are fine as a treat, but they need a balanced diet with the calcium. The weakness worries me that the Calcium reserves may be depleted which can account for the weakness. There also may be some dehydration because the pad are sticky and that is what grasps to wall and items. If you can check the calcium reserves, they are in the back of the throat and when full the look like a ball on each side of the throat. If they are depleted this can cause weakness.

I would like to see the diet changed to the Repashy diet and mix plain calcium in 5 days a week. For possible dehydration you can give a room temperature soak in a 50/50 water and Pedialyte soak for 10 mins. Take the Crestie out and place back in enclosure. This will hydrate him. If he does not respond to this first aid, then a herp Vet visit will be needed to determine what may be going on and will require a hands on exam. if you need a Herp Vet please let me know State or Country. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. If you need more help, please hit reply.

Joan

Hi Roy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Geronimo. How is everything going?
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.