I have a male Veiled chameleon and he has a bump on his side. It is not a broken rib, or an old injury. It is shaped

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi Anna, I have a male Veiled chameleon and he has a bump on his side. It is not a broken rib, or an old injury. It is shaped kind of like a volcano. I was wondering if it was a wart or something else? He has a 3x3x4 mesh cage with proper lighting. Diet is gut-loaded crickets and mealworms dusted about 50% of the time with Reptivite.
Answered by Anna in 1 hour 7 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. A apologize for the delay. I was not online at the time you posted your question, and am not sure why I was being shown as online. I just logged on and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear that Emerald has a problem.
One of the most common causes of such lumps is a broken rib, but since you are sure it is not, we'll look at some other possibilities. The lump is likely to be either an abscess or a tumor. Abscesses tend to be a little softer, but the fluid in them can harden. An abscess can form from a wound as small as a pin prick. Even a cricket bite can result in one. The lump is not likely to go away on its own, and there is no home treatment for it. The best thing to do would be to make an appointment with a reptile vet. The vet can examine the lump and perhaps biopsy it to determine exactly what it is. Then proper treatment can begin. This site has a directory of reptile vets:
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
Calcium deposits can also cause such lumps. Nothing is usually done about them. They seldom cause any trouble.Some fungal infections can also be responsible. Viral infections (similar to warts) do occur, but are not common.
There is no way to know what this is without having a vet examine Emerald. Because it could be an abscess or a tumor, my suggestion is to see a vet. The vet may take a fine needle aspirate from the bump to determine what it is. Then it can be determined if treatment is needed.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be nothing, but I believe it is better to be safe than sorry.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
I'm just following up on our conversation about Emerald. How is everything going?
Anna
Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.