My son's beardie is sick. She has trouble breathing and isn't holding herself up. it's like she's lost color in her body

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My son's beardie is sick. She has trouble breathing and isn't holding herself up. it's like she's lost color in her body except for her tail. She's not eating. The closest Vet is over 100 miles away. What can I do for her here?? I know I need to reduce the humidity...as it's been very humid here.
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
Need to speak to someone right now

I am sorry for the wait, I just returned from the Emergency Room and see you need some help. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ ears wit special interest in Bearded Dragons.

How is the Dragon doing now?

Set up?

Diet Veggies/ prey?

Supplements?

Substrate?

UVB light, linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Basking light?

Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side and how easured?

Joan

Customer
she's still alive but not very good. She's got a basking side and a cool side...my temp gun has been broken. She's eating crickets, squash, collards, different fruits. Sometimes she gets phoenix worms. Her enclosure has reptile carpet. UV bulb Reptisun 5.0
75 watt bulb basking. 50 gallon tank. the crappy thermometer on the cool side says 70's.....Humidity has been high here...I put something outside her cage to get that to go down. it looks like she's sleeping...could she brumate in August if she'd been getting cold?

She could shut down if cold. The UVB you are using is too weak he needs a Reptisun 10.o Linear tube please a white asking light for warmth. UVB lights put out inimal warmth and that is why we have two bullbs.

We can try some immediate fist aid by giving her a soak in a 50/50 Pedialtye soak for 10 mins. This will hydrate her and warm her up. It is very important to get the Reptisun 10.0 inear tube on her as well as a reflector hood with a dome for basking.

Hopefully these two changes will help. The basking temp should be 105-110, the warm side the 90's and the cool side . 80's. Make sure she has a good plain calcium supplement to help prevent MBD.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.