Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I have a leopard gecko. It was healthy while. I've had it

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...
Hi. I have a young leopard gecko. It was healthy for a while. I've had it for about two months, half of which he was healthy. Currently weighing 14grams, he doesn't want to eat. He is weak. When he walks, he wobbles. His neck bends, he lays on his back and rolls. His eyes are usually closed and he stays in the corner, not in his hide. He was born in June and has been kept on paper towel, being fed crickets and meal worms. I noticed him wobbling first, right after a shed but also right after I gave him a shit load of calcium with d3 dusted crickets. This was two or three weeks ago. Since then I took him to the vet and they gave me a powder mix to feed him. His eyes are open more but that's all I've noticed. It's been only one day though. So they said it could be the bone disease because he doesn't have uvb. I don't believe it and they weren't specialists. They didn't test anything. He's in a ten gallon, with a hide on one end, the warn side. It has a heating pad and a 100watt red light. The other side has nothing and it stays 75. He was in with another gecko I had gotten but when I noticed my gecko having issues I quickly seperated them. The other one was showing signs of dominance and probably ate more dusted crickets then mine. Yet still very healthy and growing. They were the same size when they were in one tank now mine is 14grams and the other is 19grams. Is it enigma syndrome? He is white with a little yellow and black eyes. Is it a d3 toxin?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
8/6/2015
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

I think you pinned it down very well. D3 Toxicity will cause Neurological damage. It will cause the twisting and turning throwing the head back leading to lack of appetite. I never recommend D3 only plain calciu without D3 or Phosphorus. Now he needs to be Detoxed. He should have some fluids from the vet to flush the system. He should see a Herp Vet for a complete check up. If you supply a location, I can find some Herp Vets for you.

In the mean time only Plain Calcium and also keep a dish of plain calcium in the tanks. We can try to hydrate the Gecko by giving a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak. You will need to support the gecko since he is twisting and turning. For feeding you can add the powder that what you are feeding to some chicken or beef baby food and drop on the snout, and allow the gecko to lick it off.

Please let e know if you need a Herp Vet. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service positive.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician