Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Hey Anna! We adopted a russian tortoise from the shelter and she started gaping yesterday

Customer Question

Hey Anna!
We adopted a russian tortoise from the shelter and she started gaping yesterday. We took her to the vet and they gave her a shot claiming that she has a pneumonia. They sent home 7 days worth of antibiotic to inject her with every day for 7 straight days. She is acting very lathargic yet eating. Today she pooped clear liquid with white in it and then pooped regularly. Is this normal? Also the vet suggested feeding bananas and strawberries to up the vitamin a that she is deficient in. This vet did not act like she specialized in reptiles and wasn't able to tell us her age. Is this ok advise?
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Was the Vet you had seen a Herp Vet?What type of medication did they give for an antibiotic?Did the Vet do any blood work or an X ray?Can you tell me about the set up for the tortoise?UVB light linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?Basking light?Tank, rubber made or tortoise table?Supplements?Diet?Are the eyes swollen?Any bubbles out nose or mouth?Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Joan!We were told that the vet was just considered a "small animal" vet. The vet didn;t do x-rays or blood work but did say that her breathing was labored and her eyes seemed swollen. No discharge from nose or mouth. We are feeding her organic dandelion greens, carrots and romaine with dampened t-rex dry turtle formula rubbed on the leaves. The vet recommended banana and strawberries in the mix to bring up the vit a def problem. We keep her in a large 2 by 4 plastic tub with tortoise recommended wood chipped bedding and it is kept dry. She gets alot of sunlight and has a hut to hide in and a fresh bowl of water that is cleaned immediately after she soaks. We love her and we adopted her from the shelter. We were told that whoever had her before did not take care of her at all. Also, is it true we can feed her bell pepper? We have only had her two weeks. Thank you for everything!Lauren
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh! her medication is "batril"injectable at 0.15 ml under her arm.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Can you tell me if the substrate is actual bark chips or is it coconut coir and sand?How is she getting sunlight?Do you have a basking light and a UVB bulb? Is the UVB a coil or linear tube or compact coil and strength?Are you given any calcium or have a calcium supplement in the enclosure?Are you giving soaks?State or location to fine you a Herp Vet?Joan