Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned turtles, snakes, amphibians, and lizards. Study and provide habitat for wild herps.
6012901

Joan! My leapard gecko hasn't been wanting to leave her

Customer Question

Hi Joan! My leapard gecko hasn't been wanting to leave her cave... It's been five days and four nights. I've removed her cave to see if she's okay. She looks healthy.. she's very afraid of humans so she doesn't like to be touched, I try to touch her to see if she will run away like normal and she does. She's had crickets in her cage for 3 days and hasn't eaten them. This started when I started feeding her meal worms. She ate one a day for five days and since then she's been anti social. She has plenty of Heat. She had a heat lamp and a uv lamp plus a heat pad 8 watts under her cave. Is there something wrong or is she just happy and full and just comfy in her cave home. I hope that's it, because I'm worried about her
Category: Reptile
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me what substrate you use?Diet?Supplements?Do you have a moist hide?Any weight loss?Temps in enclosure?Joan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She's a juvenile so she still little.
She lives in a 10gal. Tank
The pet store recommended jungle ____ (can't remember the full name. It resembles a dark bark)
Her tank doesn't stay that moist. I spray the tank before I turn on her heat lamp and UV light.
She doesn't take supplements. I ask the pet store if she should and they said no, unless she starts acting lethargic. They said the UV light gives enough "vitamins" so no calcium supplements are needed (which doesn't make much sense to me.)
As for food, I started just feeding her crickets, which she loves! She ate playfully, until the pet store recommended giving her an occasional meal worm for more substance. (Which she hasn't acted right since I started feeding her meal worms.)
I haven't noticed much weight loss. A week ago her skin turned white, and I thought she was going to shed and now she's back to her normal stripped beautiful self. Did she eat her skin? Could that make her sick?
Normally I have a 100watt heat light in her tank, but then summer months, hot lamp she was escaping to the cooler parts of her tank to cool during the day. So I switched to a 75watt heat light and a heating pad under her cave. She has a water dish I clean everyday, especially since she used to be so active I would have to clean out the bark in her dish, and now it's always clean because she doesn't leave her cave.
Her tank on the cool side is 75 degrees during the day. I'm sorry that I wrote so much. She's a part of our family, and SPIKE as my 6 year old calls her, is the baby of the family. We are worried for Spike, and just hope there's nothing wrong with her.
We can lift her cave and she will move and run. (She doesn't like to be touched so she gets scared and run from our hands)
Please tell me she's ok and that I'm being a scared mama.Sincerely
Kimberly
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.
Hi,You were given some very poor advice fro the pet shop. I will go over that when I get this information.Can you tell me what the temps are in the habitat? How are they measured?What type of UVB light are you using? Is it a coil bulb or linear tube, strength and brand?What type of heat light are you using?Do you have a moist hide?Do you leave prey in the enclosure?Joan