Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Yes, my female box turtles eyes are swollen and has a white…

Customer Question
Yes, my female box turtles...
Yes, my female box turtles eyes are swollen and has a white discharge coming from them. What do I need to do for her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
7/9/2015
Reptile Expert: Camille-Mod,
 replied 2 years ago
Camille-Mod
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Reptile Expert: Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian with a special interest in ophthalmology I am happy to assist you!
I just signed online and see you have been waiting for an answer for a while, on behalf of the website I apologize for that, sometimes exotic pet questions can be tricky!
It sounds to me like Jalani (what a pretty name!) has an eye infection- this can be quite common in box turtles. The good news is that such infections typically are easy to treat with some antibiotic eye ointment, but this does require a trip to a vet for the medication as it is a prescription. Other similar infections (such as ear infections which can cause eye swelling) can look similar, so a check-up by a vet would be a good idea anyway to confirm the diagnosis.
In addition to that, I recommend checking Jalani's housing- make sure the humidity is high enough, as an environment too dry can predispose them to eye and ear problems. I recommend a housing temperature of 70-75 degrees F with a minimum of twice daily spraying of the environment with a water sprayer. Also make sure you have some sort of material in the enclosure that holds onto moisture to help keep some humidity, such as moss or leaf litter covering, and an area with water for bathing. Lastly, infections can result from contaminated water, so make sure you use fresh clean water and clean the enclosure regularly.
Thank you for your question- I hope you find this information useful! Please feel free to respond with additional questions. Once you are satisfied with my answer, please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time.
All the best to you and Jalani,
Dr. Drea