Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My son's uromastyx has been sick full of pin worms shedding

Customer Question
-- after bringing to to...
my son's uromastyx has been sick full of pin worms shedding -- after bringing to to 3 different vets we found one yesterday and saw her again today -- she soaked the uro in pediltye and water and told us to tonight then again tomorrow and gave us food to start feeding him orally. My question is after soaking the uro tonight we dried him good, put him back into his cage he started shaking his head opening and closing his mouth and twisting a little he's sleeping now with twitches. I'm concern if these twicttches are anything to worry about?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
6/25/2015
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Hello,Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years wwith special interest in reptiles and reptile Rescue.Can you tell me about the set up?Diet?Supplements?Substrate?UVB light, how old, linear tube or compact coil, strength and brand?Supplements?was the Vet a Herp Vet?Did they treat for Pin worms and what medication did they use?Is the whole body twitching or extremities?Still gaping?Temps in enclosure?Joan
Set up 40 gallon tank 3 lights red light - uvb light-- night light each on at different time -- water dish -- two pieces of furniture -- a wooden branch laws using sand till yesterday vet said switch to paper towel till pin worms are gone.
1) diets hasn't eaten in 4 days will start will start critical care fine grind
tomorrow was eating greens.
2)calcium plus
3) yes herp vet
4)extremities were twitching -- not now he's sleeping No more gasping
He's less then a year old
All lights are bulbs
Cool side 85 hot side basking stop 112 humidity 31 with a dehumidifier going
Hello,Did they give any medication for the pin worms? Do you know what it was and dosage?Joan
Panacur Suspension #6093 .02 ml
Times 3 days then repeat in ten days
Oh he also has a piece of shed/skin hanging off his back leg
Hello,The dosing I have for Panacure Febendazole is different than what you are giving: http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html#parasites I would double check with your Herp Vet about dosage and how it is given since there is a discrepancy. Be cautious on force feeding any meds and Critical care, since it is very easy to cause aspiration pneumonia. Even the most experience Vet or tech can have a problem with giving liquids orally and have problems. I agree with paper for now until clear. I would not go back to sand because of the danger of impaction. The best loose substrate for a Uro is Bird seed. It is edible, and easily cleaned. It is recommended by Douglas Dix, who is the foremost authority on Uromastyx. Right now as long as the Uro is sleeping ok and no gaping or twitching, it should be fine, but I would double check dosing of the Panacur in the morning. Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician