Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Our anole has a swollen eye what do we do?

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Reptile
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2015
Reptile Expert: Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian replied 3 years ago
Vet_Dr.Drea
Vet_Dr.Drea, Board Certified Veterinarian
Hello, as a licensed veterinarian with a special interest in ophthalmology I am happy to assist you. There are many reasons reptiles can have a swollen eye. A common cause is low Vitamin A, so it is important to make sure that Meany is on an appropriate diet (I typically recommend a reptile vitamin powder sprinkled on the crickets/food to make sure they maintain vitamin levels). That said, bacterial infections, parasites and other conditions can also cause a swollen eye in reptiles and may require medication such as antibiotics for resolution of the problem. Unfortunately, without seeing your pet there is no way for me to determine exactly which underlying cause you are dealing with so I highly recommend taking Meanie to a vet to make sure the eye is properly treated. **Please note that leaving the eye untreated can lead to pain and loss of vision in that eye.** Please also note that it can be difficult to properly dose a reptile with medications so you should NOT attempt to medicate on your own, and additionally, for topical antibiotics to be safe for the eye they need to be specially formulated so do not put any topical medications on the eye unless prescribed by his vet. Thank you for your question, I hope you find this information useful. Please feel free to respond with additional questions and please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for my time. Best to you and Meany,Dr. Drea