Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

I own a Cornsnake from petco for $34.00 (new born about 1 ft.)

Customer Question
He wouldn't eat. I have...
I own a Cornsnake from petco for $34.00 (new born about 1 ft.) He wouldn't eat. I have tried day after day and its been 17 days so far and he wont go after it; They are frozen tiny mice (pinkies). I tried live feeding, lizards, nothing. He just looks at it and slithers away. I brought him to my vet and he said I dont see any digestion, illnesses, shedding or problems that can cause him not to eat. This morning something i feared would happen.... I woke up and he was gone (Passed away). I was devastated. Why wouldnt he eat? the temperature was 80-88 degrees usually sometimes lower. I move the frozen mouse around and i tried making a little cut in it so he can smell it to make it seem it is alive. I have everything that he will need, water to drink or bathe in, log to hide in and sleep, a fake little tree to climb on, and a 20 gallon tank. What caused him not to eat? Why wouldn't he eat anything? How do I get my snake to eat?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
6/22/2015
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Hi,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.Can you tell me do you still have the snake or did he pass away?Do you have a snake you are trying to feed now?Did the Vet do a Fecal?Did you try force feeding or a pinkie pump?Is the Vet you had seen a Herp Vet?Joan
Anna
Anna
Anna, Reptile Expert, Biologist