Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Anna, I have a veiled cham who has been on baytril +

Customer Question
Hi Anna, I have a...
Hi Anna, I have a veiled cham who has been on baytril for 2+ weeks for what i thought was a respiratory infection, but his throat is now very swollen. i'm thinking it could be edema? Very worried as he won't feed and i'm giving him food mix from the vet via oral syringe. he won't strike for food!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Reptile
6/22/2015
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 3 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Hello,My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptile and reptile rescue.What you are describing is Gular Edema. This is often associated a Vitamin A overage. It is recommended to dust crickets and other prey with only plain calcium and without vitamin D3 every day, and to give a multiple vitamin, such as Reptivite, only once every other week. If the excessive vitamin A is removed early on when there is Gular Edema a good recovery can occur.Dehydration can also be a factor.play a big part in what you are seeing and can happen when on an antibiotic. For first aid we are going to give a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte . Soak your chameleon two times a for 20 mins. This will help with dehydration, since they can absorb fluid through the skin and Vent area.This is an article about Gular Edema and how someone else had dealt with it and how it was treated: http://www.veiled-chameleon.com/weblog/archives/000229.html Usually with the Gular Edema, the blood work comes back with high kidney and liver levels which is a result of the overage of Vitamins in the system playing on the organs as well as the antibiotic adding to it. Diet will also play a role in recovery of your chameleon. If your Vet is not a Herp Vet, I can locate some with a State. I would take the information supplied here with you to the Vet and discuss some blood work and treatment as discussed in the link supplied. I would also have some blood work drawn to check levels.If I have addressed your concerns, please rate me Positive, and if you have further questions, please hit reply.Joan
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Hi Phil,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Joan