Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

My leopard tortoise is having swollen eye problems and is not…

Customer Question
My leopard tortoise is having...
My leopard tortoise is having swollen eye problems and is not active a lot and I don't know why
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
6/14/2015
Reptile Expert: Dr. Altman, Reptile Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Reptile Veterinarian
Welcome to Justanswer! My name is***** and I am happy to help you both today...
Is she having issues with one or both eyes?
If one eye is involved then it is unlikely to be an infection. With the signs like a swollen lid and/ or one eye is closed, it is likely to be because of a scratch or possibly a small burn if there is a heat lamp in the habitat. If the tortoise is out in the garden, it could be a sting or a thorn has affected the eye. If the eye is closed and is gummy, it may help to try and get it open with a cotton wool ball soaked in boiled water that has been allowed to cool almost to room temperature. If this doesn’t work, then a visit to the vet is in order.
If both eyes are affected or the Zeus keeps rubbing her eyes although they look normal, it could be that there is an infection or it might be environmental such as dust or another irritant. If the eyes are open, look for small ulcers on the cornea, or clouding. Drops or ointments for humans can be used as a short term measure (saline flush for contact lenses for example) to make the tortoise or turtle more comfortable, but they should be taken to the vet as soon as it is convenient. If your tortoise wakes from hibernation with an eye problem, look for any foreign bodies which may have got into its eye from the bedding.
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope Zeus is feeling better soon!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Would you suggest any medicine
Not at this time, I would try flushing the eyes 2-3 times today and see if there is any improvement before beginning anything orally. Especially if there is no drainage to the eyes.
If there is no improvement by morning then antibiotics maybe warranted to get this under control, topically and possibly orally since she is also lethargic.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Reptile Veterinarian