Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

We have a 2 year old dragon which just today notice seizures

Customer Question
and is very non responsive...
We have a 2 year old dragon which just today notice seizures and is very non responsive right now and sometimes looks like its not breathing at all for minutes at a time.
I have read this could be a lack of calcium ? What can be done?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Reptile
6/8/2015
Reptile Expert: Joan, Veterinary Technician replied 2 years ago
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.
Can you tell me about your set up?
Can you tell me what type of UVB light you are using, strength and is it a linear tube or compact coil, age of bulb, and brand?
Basking light?
supplements?
Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?
Substrate?
Diet Prey/ type of Veggies?
Joan
all new bulbs purchased from Pet Co - we operate 2 Repti Basking lamps - 1-100 w zoo-med , and another tube type 10um or 10 uv 75 or 100 w , Has been the same for 2 years. Also a Nocturnal Infrared heat lamp 100 w zoo-med ,Crickets and green veggies -or mixed salad from store. calcium with crickets most of the time. temp on warm side is in near 78-80 degrees. cold side not sure at the moment
How old is the UVB linear tub? Is it 6 months old or newer?
Is the calcium with D 3 or without D 3?
What type of veggies are you feeding?
How long to you run the Bulbs each day?
Substrate in bottom of tank?
Can you give me more specifics on these questions as well as temps in the areas specified.
Joan
UVB Tub less than a week old.
veggies are mixed garden greens you buy at the store in a bag.
heat lamps run from 8 am till 10 pm then infrared runs 10 pm to 8am on a timer .
What do you mean substraight ?
Calcuim is D3
The substrate is the bedding that is in the bottom of the tank, sand, carpet , tile etc?
Do you feed any spinach?
Before the most recent replacement of the UVB bulb, how old were the last ones?
Sorry, but the more details I have the easier to try and help.
Joan
old bulbs were maybe 6 months old.sand in tank.
no spinach
old bulbs were only 3 months old per my son.
I am not so sure the seizure activity you are seeing is because of lack of calcium. We see it with Parasites as well as an overage of Vitamin D 3. The body takes calcium and turns it into DE under the UVB light. If tmenthe calcium has De this can be an overdosage which can cause Neurological symptoms like seizure activity. I recommend using a plain calcium supplement instead of the D3, since D3 overage is common when using a calcium D 3 supplement and the UVB light. I suggest a plain calcium supplement.The sand can cause some major issues with a Dragon. This will give you an idea about Sand as a substrate: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3
I suggest using a solid substrate like tile, cage carpet, slate or paper. Sand can also cause skin problems and corneal ulcers in the eyes.
The basking area should have 110*-115*F, warm side 90's and the cool side of the tank in the 85* range. This is important for digestion and passing of stool. If the temps are not correct, this can also cause a problem. YOur temps are way too cool from what you have told me.You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They need 80% veggies daily and 20% live prey over a year of age.
The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms.The canned prey looses the nutritional value and is high in chitin which is the outer shells and can cause a blockage.
Super worms and wax worms are like giving the Dragon candy. All veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins 2 days a week.
For now we need to give the Dragon a soak in 50/50 warm water and plain Pedialyte to prevent dehydration. Please soak at least 30 mins. I do suggest a Herp vet visit to help rule out a parasite issue. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with State. While in the soak, please make sure to support the Dragon in the soak, as it is important, for the dragin not to go under but to hydrate the Dragon.
Joan
ok
Thanks we will give it a try.
If you feel like you need a Herp Vet please let me know. The seizures can be caused by so many things including live, kidneys, infection, D3 toxicity or parasites. He he does not show improvement, I suggest a Herp Vet visit asap, for some blood work and a hands on exam.
Joan
Reptile passed last night. Thank you.
I am so sorry for the loss. It could have been one of many issues, but we tried our best to assist you. Sorry for the loss.
Joan

I'm just following up on our conversation about Berri. How is everything going?

Joan
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician