I have a 2" red eared slider and it appears like he is shedding. His tail and paws have a fuzzy like stuff on them. we

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 2" red eared slider and it appears like he is shedding. His tail and paws have a
fuzzy like stuff on them. we washed her off and are about to treat with coat conditioner
Vita Shell
I've had the turtle 2 1/2 mo but he is about 1 1/2 - 2 yr old
Can you tell me what to do ?
Answered by Jav917 in 49 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
I previously wrote about her habbitat and diet do you require more ?
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.
Can you tell me do you have filtration?
Have you tested water quality?
UVB light? Linear tube or compact coil, strength and age of bulb?
Basking light?
Heater in tank?
Supplements?
Joan
Customer
Yes we have a turtle filter
Recently changed water and cleaned tank RO Water
UV light yes Compact coil & Heat Lamp both fairly new within a month
Heater in tank small on left (maintans 78)and Heater on botton of tank glass
Temp is a contant 80+Yes she eats supplements--turtle food with vitamins N minerals ( Little round balls
live snails produced from an aquarium tank
Live baby crickets
Dried shirmp
Live baby guppies which he has'nt eaten (they have been in her 10 gal tank 4 days)
Blood worms (Frozen) nightly
red soft pellets (acquatic turtle entre for health n growth (National Geographic
my 6 in 1 acquarium strip reads high nitrate and high alkalinity O chlorine and hard water
What is a turtle tank suppose to be ??Caryn
Customer
Once a week she is covered manually with Turtle Vita Shell cream conditioner
Just started alst Mon 4/20
It sounds like we may be dealing with a fungal infection. This can be a result of the water quality. We want Ammonia at 0, Nitrite at 0, Nitrate 20ppm or less and a PH at 7.0.
The water quality can be resolved with 25-35% water changes. This will help. For now we need to treat the turtle in a diluted tea colored Betadine solution and warm water. The turtle should be soaked for 10 mins twice a day and Dry docked. This would be kept in a Dry area on paper towels and only put in the tank twice a day for feeding and defecation. You will want to keep him Dry Docked for 5-7 days. This should help clear it up. The other option would be a sulfur dip which you can get at the Pet shop and follow the instructions. The shell conditioner is not going to help what you are seeing.
The diet needs improvement. Stop the fish since they carry parasites and not a good feeder. The turte should have 50% leafy greens, 25% live prey and 25% pellets. The turtle should also have a calcium supplement like a cuttle bone available at all times. I am going to give you a Care sheet compiled by Anna a fellow Expert to help with the husbandry.
SLIDER TURTLE CARE SHEET
Well-cared for sliders can live 30 years or more.
The Tank
It's recommended that a baby slider have at least a 15 gallon tank. By the time the turtle is 3-4 years old, it will need a 60 gallon tank, so it's best to get the biggest you can in the beginning. You can also use a large RubberMaid tote. That's not as pretty as a tank, but costs a lot less. Set up the tank so there's a land area and a water area. Put the basking light at one end so the whole tank doesn’t get too hot. You want the water to be about twice as deep as the turtle is long. If the turtle is two inches long, you'll want four inches of water.
Temperatures and Basking Area
Turtles need certain types of lighting and need to be warm. Air and water that are not warm enough can lead to fungal and respiratory infections and unhealthy shells. Turtles must have a basking area where they can get out of the water, dry off, and bask in very warm light. The ambient air temperature in the tank should be around 75 *F (24*C) , with the basking area warmer still. Over the basking area there should be some sort of lamp that will take a 40-60 watt incandescent bulb (or you can buy a ceramic light fixture made just for reptiles). If you live in an area that has farm stores, you can buy a metal light fixture made to keep baby chicks warm for just a few dollars. Don't buy the accompanying bulb, however. You need an ordinary incandescent bulb in the basking light. Hardware stores sell similar fixtures as work lights. The basking area should be kept at 85-90*F (29 to 32*C). Use a digital probe thermometer to be sure. You can adjust the temperature by raising or lowering the light fixture.The lights that come with the covers on aquariums are not suitable for turtles. You'll also need a submersible aquarium heater that will keep the water 78-82*F (26 to 28*C).
UVB Light
It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, sunGlo, UV, or UVA are not the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to your turtle's health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will develop because your turtle won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. MBD causes a very slow and painful death.UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out most of the rays turtles need to stay healthy. To prevent MBD, turtles also need calcium. The easiest way to provide it is to place a cuttlebone in the tank. Cuttlebones are sold in bird departments of pet stores.
Filtration
Turtles are very sensitive to water quality. Even if you change the water every day, it can still contain harmful chemicals. A good filtration system is essential. Water changes are also needed even with a filter. If the tank is too small, no filter can keep up with the amount of waste that turtles produce.
Feeding
Feeding is an area where pet stores often give out bad information. Commercial food should make up only 1/4 of the diet. Animal products (cooked meat, earthworms, canned cat food) should make up another 1/4. The remaining half should be plant foods (dark lettuce like romaine, bits of strawberry or melon, etc.). Hatchlings should be fed every day. Older turtles should be fed 3 times per week. Overfeeding can lead to gout and kidney failure.
For Further Reading
This is among the most reputable sites on turtles.
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-yellowbelly.htm
Please let me know if I have addressed all your concerns. If I have please take a moment to rate my service, so I can be compensated for my time and answers.
Joan
Customer
Yes. thank you she has a cuttle bone in the tank she never touches it and I recently ordered a calcium block for her tank
(not received yet) She gets feed twice a day Is that too much ? I tried Kale and she never ate it. Do you have a list of stuff turtles can eat ? Anykind of cooked meat. I thought it was to be raw but not tried that yet I have dug up weeds but only found one earth worm so far. Can you buy ? I also treat the water w/ Prime like my fish tanks
We use a fish net every other day to scoop up waste and cricket legs
Yes we have a digital probe thermometer and a acquarium foating temperature gauge
Lil Shit (turtle) has 4 " of water in tank a dry dock station and a rock that he can bask on and be dry.I need to understand my treatment
Little betadine in warm water, twice daily water AND then keep her out of the water except to eat n poop for 7- 10 days
How do we tell if she's ok . Worried, she loves her waterOh Yeah and stop the live fish ?Caryn
Customer
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
The Betadine will be diluted to a tea color in a shallow container and she will get a soak for 10 mins twice a day. This will help heal the fungal infection. Once she is done with her soak she will go into a dry container with paper towels. She can go in the water twice a day for her swim, eating and defecating. The water will promote the fungal infection to get worse, so we will be treating it and once it is gone we can get her back in her normal tank. You need to have one side of the drydocking container with a heat bulb and the UVB bulb and one side that is cooler without the bulb. On the cool side, lay down a moist paper towel, not soaking wet, but make sure it stays moist throughout the drydocking.
Your turtle is going to get stressed. I like to feed them before drydocking. They love to bask after eating. This will help with keeping Little Shit calmer in the drydocking container. Please watch the drydocking container because she is going to try and get out and wind up on her back. This is very dangerous to a turtle.
The purpose of the drydocking container is to keep them warm and dry. The temps should be around 85 degrees.
She should be fed once a day. Acceptable foods are collard greens, mmustard greens, escarole, curly endives, and even dandelion greens. For cooked meat you can give bits of cooked chicken, hamburger or even fish. Live prey can be meal worms, crickets, or earth worms. These feeders can be purchased at the Pet supply.
Joan
Customer
Thank you so very much. This is my first experience with a turtle and with a tech like you
appreciate
Caryn
Customer
Joan where do I go to rate
I don't want a monthly charge or a trial service
just you
Above my answer you should see a button that has bad, poor, ok, good or excellent, or 5 stars 4 stars, 3 stars 2 stars and 1 star. The best rating would be 5 star and the other rating is self explanatory. I will mark this as an answer and you can rate. Thank you for using Justanswer.com
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.