I just got this baby male panther chameleon yesterday. He is about 2 months old. He seemed fine yesterday up until after

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I just got this baby male panther chameleon yesterday. He is about 2 months old. He seemed fine yesterday up until after we fed him. Now he keeps opening his mouth and he seems charcoal black. He didn't do this yesterday. I might have fed him too many baby crickets?
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I ahev been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special ineterst in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.
Can you tell me about the Habitat? Screen enclosure or tank?
UVB light? Tube or coil, strength and brand?
Basking light?
Temps in enclosure?
Supplements?
Automister or dripper?
Substrate?
Joan
Customer
A. 2 75 watt bulbs. one is a uv and the other is a clear heat light. temp about 75. (probably too cold).
B. we dust his crickets with calcium.
C. spray his cage and him about 4 times a day.
A UVB bulb would not be rated as a 75 watt, Can you tell me more about the bulb you were told was a UVB bulb? This is important.
Is the Chameleon in a fish tank enclosure or in a screen enclosure?
Any plants in enclosure?
Am I correct you so not have an auto mister?
Joan
Customer
1. light blue . exoterra sunglow 120v 60hz 50watt
2. The other light is: EXOTERRA sunglow 120v 60hz 50 watt.
Please let me know if the enclosure you are keeping the Chameleon in a screened enclosure ot is it a fish tank?
Is this the bulb which is the Sun Glow: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22811
or this one which is the Solarglow:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=22807
Joan
Customer
screen. checked the temp. 80 degrees. we sprinkle reptavite lightly on the plants. it has protein, calcium and stuff in it. super light dusting.
Customer
He seems to not be doing the mouth opening up as much now. we fed him some tiny crickets (3) bout half hour ago. he seems lighter in color now.?
Thank-you for the information. The first issue I see is that I do not believe you were sold a UVB bulb. The bulbs you mention are both full spectrum bulbs, but they do not give off UVB they only give off heat. You should have a Reptisun 5.0 linear tube in the enclosure to supply adequate UVB rays. Without the proper bulb, the Chameleon cannot metabolize the calcium in the body. It is very important to have this UVB bulb and the proper strength. This can infludence activity, health and appetite.
The next issue is you need to either have an automatic fogger/mister or a dripper. Chameleons are very fragile and dehydrate easily since they will not drink standing water. This is very important.
You can Off bits of romain lettuce as well as the live prey. Dust the prey 5 days a week with calcium and 2 days a week with the Vitamin supplement.
The temps in the enclosure are fine in the low to mid 80's but you need to create a basking area where the temps go from the 90's to 105*F. The temps are very important for the Chameleon to digest foods. The dark color you had seen could have been that he was cold.
With Chameleons, I suggest a wellness check immediately, because we are seeing a lot of parasites in reptiles that come from pet shops. These are tough reptiles because they are fragile and the care is very specific. I am going to give you a care sheet for the panther chameleon:
http://chamownersweb.net/husbandry/care_sheet_panther.htm
The care sheet goes over the information I supplied and will help with tweaking any other issues I have not addressed. If you need a Herp Vet please supply a State and I can locate one for you.
If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate my answer postive so I can be compensated for my time and answers.
Joan
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Joan
Customer
Wow! Hi! Ordered the exact light u suggested on Amazon.com. Should be here tomorrow. We spray mist him cuz we r home always. Temp is about 85. He is not doing that mouth opening thing. Haven't seen his tongue stick out. Weird. He just bites tiny crickets now. Don't know where the tongue went.
The tongue should only come out when catching prey. If it is out, then there is a problem. Sounds like he is doing better.
Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.