I have a 3 gram crested gecko age 3 months whose littermate died today. He is possibly head shaking when he walks.

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 3 gram crested gecko age 3 months whose littermate died today. He is possibly head shaking when he walks. suggestions? antibiotic? have clavamox and clindamycin but have no idea what a gecko would need, maybe parasites? dead one was eating 2 days ago, did not feed yesterday.This one ate little today, a bit of "super food". He has never liked crickets.
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

,
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech + years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.
Can you tell me about the set up?
Substrate?
Temps in enclosure?
Supplements?
Have you checked calcium reserves inside the mouth?
Any runny nose, or wheezing?
Any open moth breathing?
Joan
Customer

paper towel substrate two, cork bark , temp is 70-75 degrees, reptile cage, plastic neodenesha? glass front, vented top.

calcium supplement, mix it in food. a teaspoon is mixed into 1/2 cup superfood which is refrigerated. have had it weeks. at breeders it was in echo earth substrate.

it is misted daily, but not last two days, and 2 days ago temp was dropped to 60's because heater fell over. may have been overnight the most before it wass caught.

Calcium reserves not checked, fear of stress, losing tails holding them down. he is only about 2.5 inches

no runny nose wheezing. no open mouth breathing. threw up once 1 week ago

,
Clavamox is not something we give to Reptiles. There are specific medications that are given, so recomending an antibiotic would have to be prescribed and be gerain to the issue by a Vet if needed. We may also be dealing with a parasite issue or a calcium deficiency. Right now the symptoms are very vague and since the Crested is new he should have a Hands On Exam and fecal check. If stressed they can have a parasite bloom and can cause some of the symptos you care seeing.
You can use the muclc since it does help control the moisure levels needed by crested geckos. I would be happy to fnd you a Herp Vet who can check out with a State and treat the gecko, but I would not recommend anything with having it checked first and calcium levels.
Joan
Customer

what is mucic

Customer

burbank/ los angelos CA

,
It was suposses to say te coconut Mulch was ok. My keyboard has been missing some letters when typing my appologies. This is a link Vets in So CA:
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html
The pictures you posted were not of the crested and I think meant post.
Joan
Customer

those pics were cat post, I see them on that question (unanswered) , not sure why they r here.

,
Not a problem. Happy New year!
Customer

the geckos layed two eggs, they were layed on a paper towel, saw them with 24 hours, found lat night. have them incubating with proper humidity but they "still" look collapsed and not plump this am. Think they could just be infertile eggs?

,
If the the Gecko has not been with a Male, the eggs will be infertile. Female Reptiles can lay eggs without a male being present. If the Gecko that passed was a male you may have had fertile eggs. You will need to watch eggs in 3 to 4 weeks. It is possible she may lay again, because they do retain sperm.
The key now is to make sure she is getting plenty of food and good plain calcium in her tank as well as on her prey. When incubating eggs you need an incubator and prefer a still air type as well as a good incubating medium.
I would keep a lay box in the tank at all times. I use moistened vermiculite and spaghnum moss mixture. I use a hide to cover the lay box like a coconut shell. This gives privacy. when eggs are laid I move the lay box into the incubator. It takes about 65 days at 85* to have a good hatch of equal male and female babies. At 82* you will get females and 87* you will get males.
Joan
Customer

two females are in with one male, housed together. I read keep them (crested at 75 degrees, you say higher?) and at 82 degrees you get females and 87 degrees you get males? so lower temp is best ? what about the caved in look.

Customer

read this:Incubators are an excellent way to keep eggs safe from unsafe temperatures in all months of weather. The exo terra incubator allows incubation at 70 degrees, perfect geckos. Large temperature spikes and drops during incubation can kill the embryo. Many hobbyists believe that incubation temperatures directly impact the incubation time and morphology of the hatchling gecko. Lower temperatures (68-74) extend incubation time, as much as doubling the number of days in the egg. With longer incubation times, the geckos hatch larger, with thick tails, larger tailpads, and more developed crests. Higher temperatures (75-80) equate to less time developing in the egg. These hatchlings are often observed with smaller tail pads, less-developed crests and an overall smaller gecko.

,

This is a picture of a lay box: http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/showthread.php?37945-Whats-your-favorite-lay-box&highlight=lay%20box

I actually just checked and there is updated information on the hatching temperature which would be 68-74 good hatch in the Exotera Incubator but you will have a larger gecko but take longer at the temps of 76-80 it will be a ahorter hatch time, but you will have a smaller crested Gecko. The lower end temps with usually produce a female and the higher end temps will produce more males.

The exo terra incubator allows incubation at 70 degrees, perfect geckos. I hope this correction helps.

The information on hatcing and the best temps has changed since I last looked.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.