We have a veiled chameleon that we have had for about 6 months.. he has has a voracious appetite and hunts crickets

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have a veiled chameleon that we have had for about 6 months.. he has has a voracious appetite and hunts crickets (with suppliments) as soon as they hit his cage. He is in a 20 gallon, we mist him at least a half a dozen times a day, he drinks from the glass when we mist him, We have the proper lights and basking area for him (including uvb light).. now suddenly he stopped eating, acting lethargic, and is not drinking either.. Need help..
Answered by Jav917 in 41 mins 7 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Thank-you for requestiong me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptile and Reptile Rescue.
Can you tell me about the UVB light: Strength, age of bulb, linear tube or compact coil and brand?
Temps in the basking area warm side and cool and how measured?
Supplements?
Diet?
Do you have an aut mister or dripper?
Joan
Customer
we use the following setup:
1 Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture, 1 13w ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp, 1 50w Halogen Lamp basking light .
The bulbs are fairly new, like less than 4 months. The heat lamp even newer, maybe a month.
Supplements Rep-Cal with Herptivite multivitamin supplement - dust crickets every other feeding..
Temps for the basking area are around 90-95 degrees and cooler areas are in the mid 70s depending on the time of year. His night time we use an IR warming bulb to keep him about 75 or so.. we measure with thermometers in the cage.
Diet is Crickets with supplements..
We mist by hand throughout the day. He drinks by licking the leaves and glass when we mist.Lately he hasn't been eating.. and I was told that he is drinking but not so much.. but at least he is drinking.Thank you..Brett
The set up you have is incorrect for a chameleon and an be a big part of the problem. They need a screen enclosure which is tall. They need the air to flow through. They also need an auto mister because they cna dehydrate very easily. The UVB bulb needs to be changed every 6 months and the bulb that you are using is a coil UVB bulb, are very ineffective. I suggest that a Reptisun 5.0 linear tube be used vs the coil which will loose potency well before the 6 months time period. Chameleons are very sensitive to conditions and can cause serious issues.
I am going to make some first aid sggestions as well as changes that need to be done.
1) Change to a new Tall screen enclosure for Chameleons
2) Change to a Reptisn 5.0 linear UVB bulb
3) Add an Auto Mister for constant misting
4) We are going to do a theraputic soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak for 8-10 mins for Hydration.
5)A Herp Vet visit is needed to check for parasite issues. If stressed the Chameleon can have a parasite bloom.
I am going to supply a care sheet that goes over the infotmation I supplied and proper care: http://www.veiledchameleoncaresheet.com/
I hope I have addressed your concerns today and if I have please take a moment to rate my service, if you have further concerns, please let me know I will continue to assist you.
Joan
Customer
Could you please explain the soak.? I will affect the rest of the changes today.
The soak is a 50% water and 50% Pedialyte infant electrolyte solution with a little calcium powder disolved into the water. This is a theraputic soak to help prevent dehydration. Reptiles can absorb fluids through the vent area( potty area) so this should help with energy. Please make the soak shallow and support if needed. The care sheet will verify my other suggestions and if a Herp Vet is needed, please supply a State.
Happy Holidays!
Joan
Customer
My poor chameleon... after the water soak, he did appear to have a bit more energy but today he seems worse.. I built him a screen cage, got him the new lights and mister... I need to help him.. he looks to be even weaker today and can barely hold on to his branch..
Customer
all these things seemed to happen very quickly.. he was fine and actually hunting his food down as we put it in his cage and drinking water as we misted him many times a day.. all this happened like in the last 3 days.
At this point seeing a Herp Vet will need to be done. All I can is recommend first aid. You can try another soak, but this may be a genetic issue, parasite issue or something else going on. I can locate a Herp Vet with a Sate. The correction thta you have done are good, but there is an underlying factor that is cauing this and will need a hands on exam. Joan
Customer
yes joan, please advise a vet to take poor Marty..
Please supply a State and I will locate some Vets for you who can treat him. We have made all changes and don all first aid we can, not a hands on exam is needed. Joan
Customer
I am in Huntington Beach, CA 92649
Thanks
I have a list of Herp Vets here for you:
This is the Vets in Southern CA: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/califs.html
If you are closer to Nothern CA, I do have a list for that area as well.
Joan
I am writing to check in to see if you got our Chameleon into the Herp Vet and see how he is doing. Please let me know an update. Joan.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.