We have an elder female iguana who had blood in her stool for the first time today. We took her for x-rays and there may

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer:

Thea's xray 11.5.2014HI Anna. We have an elder female green iguana who had blood in her stool for the first time today. We took her for x-rays and there may be small pieces of gravel in her stomach due to grazing outside in the driveway. She had another bowel movement outside today and at closer inspection we found a large cedar oblong pod and some undigested douglas fir needles. There was no blood in this stool. She also drank a decent amount of water from a glass for the first time, before her second movement. I guess we are just wondering if she can pass the small gravel on her own or if there is something we can do to flush her stomach.

Answered by Jav917 in 24 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

It is possible if the stones are small enough they will pass. Iguanas will eat bread and a little piece of whole grain wheat bread as a treat this can help the pebbles pass by wrapping around the pebbles. The other thing that can be done is to feed some baby food prunes and wait about 45 mins and put your Iggy in a warm bath and massage the abdomen while in the soak. this will aid the items in passing if small enough to pass. Make sure she is drinking well adn keep the basking temps in the upper 90's. The temps aid with Digestion. Please watch for her straining and blood in the stool. If she was able to pass the piece of bark, most likely the pebbles will also pass. bark is usually harder to pass because of the shape of it coming through the gastrointestinal tract. Please let me know if you have any questions on this information. Joan

Hi Christopher, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.