Joan, I just bought a veiled chameleon from Petsmart yesterday. He is wobbly when he moves. He is moving around in the

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Joan, I just bought a veiled chameleon from Petsmart yesterday. He is wobbly when he moves. He is moving around in the cage and eating crickets, stool is moist, firm and brown. He looks thin with visible ribs. Joints look large to me, but I don't know
what they are supposed to look like. What is wrong with him?
Answered by Jav917 in 8 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Customer
Well, his joints don't actually look enlarged. They look bony. The weaving, wobbly movement is the problem.
Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.
Can you tell me about the set up? Is it screen or a tank?
UVB light? Florescent tube or compact coil, strength and brand?
Basking light?
Temps in enclosure?
Supplements?
Auto Mister or Fogger?
Joan
Customer
Basking Light
Basking temp 90+
Ambient temp 75-80 daytime, 73+ night
Calcium, multi-vitamin (same as dragons)
Ordered auto mister, but am misting several times a day to keep enclosure wet
I just got him yesterday so not much to tell you except that he weaves when he walks. Kind of shaky. But, I read that they do that. ???
BTW, Little Lucy has area of calcium deposit in right kidney and vet got a calcified stone when he probed with thermometer! I diagnosed too much calcium! UGH. I should know better. No eggs!
Customer
He is a bit less than three inches long. Skinny legs. :-)
I am glad Little Lucy is doing ok. Very unusual for too much calcium in a Dragon. Especially a Female, usually metabolizes it rapidily. Chameleons do weave when they walk and also like high areas. They requite a tall screen enclosure, which is very important and their UVB is less than the Dragons at a 5.0-8.0 linear tube. A planted enclosure is good since they do not drink from satnding water so a mister or fogger is very important. What concernes me is he is thin and that can mean a parasite issue which is not uncommon comming out of the pet shop. As I said with the Dragons, Silk worms, Phoenix worms and dubia roaches as well as crickets are the best feeders and should get some meat on his bones. Chameleons are very shy and more fragile than the Dragons. They move very deliberately whicn the move. I am going to give you a link for Veiled Chameleons which goes over a lot of information: http://www.veiledchameleoncaresheet.com/
I would monitor Sam for now if he seem to get worse, then take him back under the health agreement, so they can have Sam checked out for parasites and a Helath exam. Joan
Customer
Thanks, Joan. I have him in a tall, screened cage with 5.0 linear light. They were feeding crickets that were not gut-loaded, I'd bet. He seems fine otherwise. And is not shy. Strangely. I moved him to my bedroom where there is no traffic and he can't see the other animals. The dragons are doing well. Little Lucy's skeleton showed superb bone density. No wonder. I nearly blew her kidney! The vet thinks the deposit in the other kidney will reabsorb and be okay. Too much of a good thing, I guess. Thank you so much, Joan. :-)
As always it is my pleasure to be able to assist you with your pets. Joan
Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.