I have 14 year old RES and I am setting up a new tank. I have a water pond that can be put indoors, but I am trying to

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have 14 year old RES and I am setting up a new tank. I have a water pond that can be put indoors, but I am trying to determine water to dry ratio, given she laid two eggs recently; thus, I want to give her a place for nesting. Any suggestions for setup?
Answered by Anna in 13 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. Your turtle more than likely does have more eggs to be laid, so you are wise to plan for this. It sounds like what you have planned will work out well. You need to work a nesting site into your set up. For a slider, that would be a 50/50 mix of sand and organic compost, about 12 inches deep. The bigger the area you can give her, the better. I would make it about 1/2 land and 1/2 water. Be sure that you continue to provide UVB light and a basking light no matter where you put her. This site has very detailed instructions for making nesting sites, including photos:
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/Nestsites.htm
At this one, you can read more about egg-laying and egg retention:
http://www.redearslider.com/physical_conditions.html
Turtles do tend to retain eggs as long as possible while she seeking an appropriate nesting site. This retention can cause infection, organ damage, and even death. Symptoms of a problem may include not laying eggs, laying only a few eggs, laying eggs in water, lethargy, pacing, lack of appetite, prolapse, digging motions, and kicking the back legs.
If Joy does not lay more eggs, and develops any of the signs I listed above, that is an indication that she needs help. You'll need to take her to a reptile vet. X-rays will help determine the nature of the problem. The vet will decide whether it's appropriate to try an injection of a hormone that will induce egg-laying, or if surgery is necessary.
This is a serious situation, so be sure to build a nesting site as soon as possible. If you have further questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need.  Thank you!
Customer
Thank you for your response, I read an earlier response regarding the mix for nesting. What would you suggest for the setup to allow for water and the nesting spot within the water pond? So that Joy can get in and out of the water as needed; however, to also allow her enough room to swim. She is quite large at this age.
There are different ways to do this. I wanted to give you a few pictures which illustrate some, but for some reason, the site seems to have a bug that won't let me do that. You can make a wooden or plastic barricade to hold the soil mix in place. Then you make a ramp pf rocks or wood so Joy can get to it. If your pool isn't big enough for that and a swimming area, you can use a second pool (like a child's plastic wading pool) placed on blocks slightly higher than the pool full of water. Build a ramp to the second pool.
Here you can see a photo of a set up with a wooden barricade (scroll down):
This one shows how to add a nest box and ramp at a higher level to an existing pond. This may work for you if your pond is too small for both a swimming area and a nest box.
http://theturtleroom.com/blog/2012/05/11/building-a-nest-box-for-above-ground-ponds/
Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about Joy. How is everything going? Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.