Joan, I have a quick question about bearded dragon lighting? We are housing our baby beardie in the 40 gallon Zoo-med

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer:

Hi Joan, I have a quick question about bearded dragon lighting? We are housing our baby beardie in the 40 gallon Zoo-med terranium kit. It came with a dual dome like fixture. One 75W heat lamp (but we reduced to 50W at vet recommendation) and a 10.0 compact UVB bulb, we are using 26W. In addition we purchased a separate dome for red light at night. All the light fixtures sit on the screen top. It this dual dome fixture sufficient for UVB needed?

Temps under heat lamp around 90-100F. Under UVB about 80F

Answered by Jav917 in 2 hours 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

The temperatures in the Basking area should be 105-110*F , the warm side mid 90's and the cool side in the mid 80's. What I suggest is a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun to get accurate readings in those areas. You did not need the Red heat lamp unless using at night and the temps drop below the mid 70's. The UVB coil bulb is not recommended since they can cause eye issuses called Photo kerato Conjunctivitis. The bulb I recommend is the Reptisun 10.0 linear tube.

The substrate should be solid to prevent ingestion of the substrate and blockage. I hope this information is helpful. Joan

Customer

Thank you, ***** ***** have a solid substrate--tile, for ease of cleaning and I created a pad under the basking log just as a cushion. However, I am still not quite clear on how to set up the lamps:

1) Does this linear tube fixture sit atop the screen? and is it okay for it to radiate through the screen? I've read some varying info on that. I also want to make sure it's not something our eyes are seeing for our own safety?

2) Can we use this tube fixture in addition to the double dome fixture we already have so we can use the dome for the heat/basking spot bulb? We do live in a cold climate with cold winters so I think the red warm lamp is also helpful to have on hand. We could put the red bulb in the double dome in place of the UVB in there now. Right now we just have the red bulb set to go on for a few hours after midnight.

The Linear Tube can be suspended in the tank or laid on top of the screen both will work. The coil uvb lights have been researched and are known to cause eye issues in Dragons: Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm

You can use the the Red light bulb in the double fixture, but at night shut off the basking light, since the Dragon does need sleep. I would disgard the Coil UVB and not use it all. What I do is use the Linear Tube and Basking light for 12-14 hours a day and at night the red light can be used to regulate the night time temps. Joan

Customer

Thank you Joan! Last thing, what wattage should ALL the bulbs be for a baby/juvenile beardie?

Right now, we are 10.0UVB 26 watt & 75 watt heat lamp.

Lastly how far below (inches) should the log be from the light fixture?

They need the Reptisun 10.0 Linear tube no matter waht age and it needs to be replaced every 6 months. As far as the basking bulb, I like a 75 watt spotlight basking bulb which should keep the temps steady for the basking and warm side. The UVB should be within 12" of the basking area. As I mentioned above, the Digital probe thermometer or temp gun is the most accurate for temps. the other guages can be off ass much as 20* either way. Joan

Customer
Thank you Joan! We went and got the fixture and believe we've got the right set up now. Thanks for your informative answer.

You are so welcome! Please feel free to request me at any time. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.