Can my tank raised red eared sliders 2 yes be wintered in a pond 4 ft deep with an airator?

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Can my tank raised red eared sliders 2 yes be wintered in a pond 4 ft deep with an airator?
Answered by Anna in 10 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. Thank you for requesting me. Whether you can be successful with hibernation or not depends on your winter climate. Some southern areas don't get cold enough. That is not conducive to hibernation for sliders. Generally, as the temperatures cool to around 50*F, turtles become less active and stop eating in preparation for hibernation. Then as the temperatures drop below freezing, they bury themselves at the bottom of a pond, and go into full hibernation. When temperatures hover in the 40's to 50's, the turtles simply become lethargic. The result very often is sickness. If your area is cold enough, your pond will be adequate for hibernation if there is litter at the bottom for them to burrow into.You can read more about outdoor hibernation by scrolling down on this website:
http://www.reptilechannel.com/turtles-and-tortoises/turtle-and-tortoise-species/red-eared-slider.aspx
Even in the wild, many turtles do not survive winter. If the temperatures don't get cold enough, the turtle develop infections. If they go into hibernation with food in their stomachs, the food rots and causes fatal infection. If they haven't stored enough fat though the summer, they starve. If they become inactive at the pond bottom, but don't go into hibernation, they can drown. If the pond freezes solid to the bottom, they freeze to death. It is the most dangerous time of year for turtles. Unless you live in a northern climate with a deep enough pond, there is no way to safely hibernate captive turtles. Even in the a perfect set up and climate, hibernation is still dangerous. However, may turtles do hibernate successfully. I just want you to be awre of the risks involved.
If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I wish you success with hibernation.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need.  Thank you!
I do want to add that if you decide to do this, you need to get the turtles out there now. They need to experience the changing day length and temps in order to trigger them to stop eating and get ready to hibernate. If you wait too long, they will have food in their stomachs, and that is never good.
Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going? Anna
Customer

So far so good! The weather has been warm with 45 to 50 in the evenings. Days are 60s . I am hoping the transition goes well. I am certainly still a nervous turtle Mom.

Good. Those temperatures will cause them to slow down and stop eating - which is essential. I don't blame you for being nervous. I hope it continues to go we;ll
Customer

Thank you so much!

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.