We are somewhat worried about "Tulipe", our 17 year old Cape Leopard Tortoise which is currently laying eggs randomly, 8

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We are somewhat worried about "Tulipe" , our 17 year old Cape Leopard Tortoise which is currently laying eggs randomly, 8 eggs in the last 10 days . We wonder whether this is as result of her male companion "Tinker" been currently sexually very active, almost aggressive.
Desmeules family
Harmelia
South Africa
Answered by Jav917 in 8 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

If the male has bred with her the eggs are most likely fertile. Female Reptiles can lay eggs without a male being present, but the fact the male is sexually active may triggered the egg laying.

I would allow her to finish laying her eggs and allow them to incubate. I would also make sure she is getting an adequate amount of calcium and that she has an up to date UVB bulb. The bulb should be no older than 6 months of age and I suggest a Reptisun 10.0 linear tube. This has the best output of UVB tommebolize the calcium in the body to help prevent metabolic Bone Disease and help her through the egg laying process. It would be wise to keep them separated because a male will continously breed and it can take its toll on the Tortoise. Joan

Customer

Thanks Joan for the explanation, but what is puzzling is that Tulipe drops her eggs at a rate of 1 to 2 a day anywhere and anytime .

Thank-you for the positive rating. It is not unusual if the she has never laid before for her not to nest. You may want to set up a lay box and see if she will nest and finish laying the eggs. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.