I have a 2 1/2 month old bearded dragon. she seems really healthy and active but I was a little worried about her tail

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hi i have a 2 1/2 month old bearded dragon. she seems really healthy and active but I was a little worried about her tail since I have read a lot of things about tail rot in beardies. The very tip of her tail is indented and dark grey. she has had it for a while but it does not look like it has gotten worse. Should i be concerned?
Answered by Anna in 31 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

The symptoms you're seeing do usually mean the tail has gotten infected. A condition called dry gangrene is common. It may be the result of some skin that should have been shed, but wouldn't come off. Sometimes it's the result of a minor injury, but often no original cause can be found. Even though it doesn't seem to be spreading at this point, it would be best to have Zira seen by a reptile vet. Because the infection can keep spreading up the tail, and even the body, it's best to have it treated by a vet. It can be fatal if allowed to continue. Sometimes it can be treated with prescription antibiotics, but in some cases, the tail must be amputated. This site will let you enter your zip code to find the nearest reptile vet:

http://www.reptileveterinarians.com/

And this link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/

You can read more about tail infections on this page:

http://www.anapsid.org/gangrene.html

The information applies to other lizards, as well as iguanas.

If you would like me to take a look before scheduling an appointment, you can send a picture. You can upload a photo by clicking on REPLY, then at the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon (it's right next to the YouTube icon). Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as www.photobucket.com. Then come back here and paste the link to your picture in a REPLY.

If you have more questions, or want to send a photo, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope Zira will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.