Joan, I have a female veiled chameleon that is around a year old. She looks like she is egg bound. Her abdomen feels

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hey Joan,
I have a female veiled chameleon that is around a year old. She looks like she is egg bound. Her abdomen feels hard. She is eating fine and drinking water well. She acted like she wanted to lay three months ago. I put a laying bin in her cage and she dug and burrowed in it, but she never laid any eggs. I don't know what to do.
Answered by Jav917 in 37 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ years and have special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me abou the enclosure? Is it screen or a tank?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB light? Florescent linear tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Has seen a Herp Vet for X rays?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer

She is in a large screened cage, she eats crickets and meal worms dusted in calcium powder, she has a full spectrum UVB compact coil(reptisun 5.0) I live in rural Colorado I haven't been able to get her to a vet and the vet here in town doesn't work with reptiles. There are some herp vets about 150 miles away

Since she is eating and drinking that indicates she is not ready to lay. When the get egg bound we usually see lethargy, lack of appetite and the will go down to the bottom of the enclosure and stay down. The UVB coil is not one of the best bulbs. I usually suggest a Reptisun 5.0 florescent linear tube since they are much safer than the coil type. The UVB also needs to be changed every 6 months since they loose potency. At this point I suggest increasing the calcium and even going to calcium glubionate which you can order here: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Calciumglub.html This is a high Potency calcium that helps if a reptile is gravid to aid with the shelling of eggs. Reptiles have follicals which are then shelled and laid. She may be in follicular dystocia and the Calcium Glubionate may help promote her laying. This link shows about Follicular Stasis: http://birdsandexotics.com/2013/11/case-study-3-napoleon-the-chameleon/

The best thing would be an X ray to see what we are dealing with, but the calcium glubionate may help. I will give you a link for Herp Vets in CO: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/colorado.html Hopefully you will find one closer to have her X rayed and checked out. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.