I have a male res and all he does is sleep. he eats well, nose and eyes are clear, no heavy breathing. he just doesnt

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hello. i have a male res and all he does is sleep. he eats well, nose and eyes are clear, no heavy breathing. he just doesnt move. water temp between 75-80, 100 watt bulbs by basking area. i have a filter and a heater. my female is fine, eats poops etc. male eats and poops too, when hes not sleeping. i thought at first he was just lazy, but not so sure anymore. any suggestions? thanks, K
Answered by Jav917 in 2 hours 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me how bit the tank is for the turtles?

Do you have a UVB light beside the basking light? If so is it a florescent tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb and brand?

Do you fed any supplements?

What type of die does he get?

Joan

Customer

they are small turtles so its a 30 gallon. uvb- yes. not flourescent. 100 watt. exotetrra bulbs, 3 weeks old. reptomin pellets with from occasional fruit (strawberries and apples),

Is the

Bulb you are using to supply the UVB a Mercury Vapor Bulb that is self ballasted?

Joan

Customer
Zoo Med Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture

• Ceramic heat lamp socket for use with 2 lamps up to 100 watts each

• Compatible with a variety of daylight and nightlight bulbs so you can create the ideal light and heat design for your terrarium

• Polished aluminum dome helps to maximum light and heat output

• Reptile heat lamp dome extends beyond the face of the lamp, preventing the lamp from sticking out unsafely

• Individual on/off switches provide greater control

Exo-Terra Reptile UVB150 Bulb and the Zilla Day White Light Incandescent Spot Bulbs.

The UVB bulb you are using is the coil bulb which we actually shy away from since we have had problems with them. They have a concentrated output for one area and that bulb is considered for desert reptiles rather than turtles. The coil bulbs have been found to cause a problem with the eyes of reptiles called Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis. We suggest a Florescent Linear bulb that runs the length of the tank. I recommend the Reptisun 10.0 linear tube that runs the length of the tank. This needs to work with a calcium supplement to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. The amount of UVB does have an affect on the activity level and appetite. For calcium I suggest using a cuttle bone or calcium block in the tank at all times. The Diet you are feeding can use some tweeking. The Diet that is recommended is 50% leafy greens or aquatic plants, 25% pellets, and 25% Live prey or cooked meats.canned krill, shrimp. The balanced diet is important, since turtles are predisposed to Kidney probems and gout.

It is possible that the type of lighting you are using may be having an affect on him. Other than that he not showing signs of a respiratory illness. The only other thing I would suggest is taking a stool sample into the Herp Vet to run a fecal for parasites, which could cause lethargy, but they would ususually decrease appetite. At this point I would monitor him and see if it continues and if it does, a Herp Vet visit may be wise just to check him out. Joan

Hi Kristine, I'm just following up on our conversation about Tiberius. How is everything going? Joan
Customer

he seems fine, thanks., i raised the water temp and hes doing fine. appetite is good and he seems normal. thanks,

Glad to hear things are better and he is more active. Joan

Customer

thanks., took him to the vet and he has no major signs of an RI. he is on antibiotic because his throat is a bit red and it might be affecting his breathing. he still eats like a gavoon! Tongue Out

Glad he is doing well. It did not sound like a an RI, but gald they are treating his throat. Joan

Customer

thanks. he is all better. he took his shots without any problems. i baught a new heater to keep the water warmer. his appetite is still fine. he yawns underwater once or twice, nothing on land. online answers contradict each other. i hope thats not a side affect or anything. Tongue Out

Glad all is well! Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.