My anole has crusty like stuff around its anus been pooping fine but it hasnt goe away in months i have repitle bark

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: my anole has crusty like stuff around its anus been pooping fine but it hasnt goe away in months i have repitle bark substrate feed them crickets and meal worms with supplemnets he has a big dish of water and i mist the tank at least once daily ,he sheds alot i have a main heat lamp over a basking area and a smaller one higher up from the tank to keep it the right temp he eats fine but im concerned about his butt
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is Joan and I have been a Vet Tech for 30+ year with special interest in reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Can you tell me if you have a UVB light, how old, florescent tube or compact coil?

What supplements do you feed?

Could you please post a picture of the area? You can use the paper clip icon in the tool bar if you have a pc, if you use a pad, please use Photobucket.com and post a link here.

Joan

Customer

20140521_215758.jpg

flukers dust and cricket feed uvb 2 mnths old if that,compact coil but the tank also get sunlight from a near window

UVB cannot penetrate glass so the window only makes the tank warmer and does not supply the UVB rays. The area you are seeing looks like it could be a Hemipenile prolapse and the anole needs to see a Herp Vet asap. The Hemipenis, is one of the males sexual organs. Right now you can do some first aid, by cleaning that area with some sterile saline and then applying some KY jelly on the area to keep it moist. The Vet will most likely have to clean the area debide it and remove the the damaged tissue. I would mist more than once a day since since they come from a humid environment and need a higher humidity. I can help you locate a Herp Vet with a State.

Joan

Customer

they have a coil uvb bulb , but what causes the injury

This is a common problem in Reptiles. Males can have problems because the hemipenis is used for breeding and sometimes they will get excited and it will come out of the retaining sack and it will not retract. If this happens and it is caught early, it can usually be treated to shrink the tissues and help it retract. This one looks like it may have been out for a while. They can also get an intestinal prolapse from staring to pass stool. Joan

Customer

is that why he has been shedding so much? is there anything i can do to prevent this in the future ?

He is shedding because of the weight loss. At this point seeing a Herp Vet will be the best solution. They can treat this and once it is healed he should stop the weight loss and do better. This is something that happens in Male Reptiles and with females we have excessive egg laying. Hopefully the area can be treated and it will not happen again. Joan

Customer

there is a female in the tank with him and i have cleaned out alot of dud eggs when i was cleanig the tank what causes excessive egg laying

Most likely they were fertile, but dried up. Anoes usualy live on a moist bedding like a eco earth or a sand soil mixture which is a better substrate for incubating eggs. As I said their normal environment is a more humid area. I live in Fl where they run rampant and babies are always hatching, because they lay them in the plant pots and moist soil. The bark is too dry and misting once a day is not enough humidity which should be 60-70%. http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/lizardsaspets/a/greenanolecare.htm Joan

Customer

i do use eco earth and the page says mist daily i mist at least once a day if not more

For some reason the humidity is too low which can account for the eggs collapsing and not being viable. When I use eco earth I wet it and then squeeze it out then place it in the tank. In some cases when heat or AC is used it can pull the humidity out of the tank making it drier. This humidity has to do with the eggs and has nothing to do with the males problem. We really need to get your male cared for at this time, since the area looks infected. Joan

Customer

i dont have a saline soultion on hand is there anything else i can do for him

You can mix a little salt in some bottle water and clean the area. That is only first aid, and the big thing will be getting him into a Herp Vet asap. Joan

Hi John, I'm just following up on our conversation about Scarface. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.