There is an old in ground pool in my yard - it has turned to marshy sludgy water and there are red slider turtles who

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: There is an old in ground pool in my yard - it has long turned to marshy sludgy water and there are red slider turtles who live there. I feed them every day. there are floating kick boards - 5 or 6 and the turtles ride around on them and bask. My biggest mama is laying eggs right now on one of the cement steps in very shallow water. What do I do To help her and the eggs?
Answered by Jav917 in 6 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile rescue.

Did she dig a hole and does the area where she is laying her eggs have dirt to cover the eggs?

Do you know if she has a male with her?

Do you feed a calcium supplement with the foods you have been feeding?

Joan

Customer

She lives IN the cement swimming pool . she laid eggs on the cement step at the shallowest end while we were sitting with her. I know there are other turtles, but i don't know the gender. l give floating turtle pellets Repto-min, and aquatic turtle food with minerals - it has calcium and Zoo-med, natural aquatic turtle food with vitamins and minerals. She's about 10-12 inches in circum.... Should I try to scoop out the eggs?

The only thing you can do is carefully move the eggs and bury them in some dirt about 6"-8" deep where they will not be disturbed. Reptiles do not care for their eggs once laid. When moving the eggs the cannot be turned and the need to be buried the same direction in which they were laid upward. You can mark the top of an egg with a sharpie to know the side that need to be up. In 60-90 days the babies should emerge from the eggs. They will dig themselves out. She should have a soak in some nice warm water and Pedialyte and then fed. I suggest offering her some earth worms which are high in calcium. She should have a cuttle bone available for her to chew on, since they do need calcium. Other than burying the eggs and giving her a soak and some food, there is nothing else to do. It is unusual that she did not seek out a soil type area to lay her eggs, but I guess she was happy with the step. Joan

Hi Linda, I'm just following up on our conversation about Myrtle. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.