I have a leopard gecko that has very recently been to my local reptile vet as he had some problems shedding the skin

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hello, i have a leopard gecko that has very recently been to my local reptile vet as he had some problems shedding the skin over his eyes. My vet has given me some eye drops (Maxitrol) for him as one of his eyes was infected. I have also been giving him complete food by syringe as he isn't eating (due to the infection in his eye, he can't see!), as i was advised to do by my vet.
I have been giving him eye drops for the last 3 days and my vet 2 days prior to that.
The issue i now have is separate (but i'm not sure whether it could be related). His front left arm is... I'm not sure how else to describe it other than, it looks like he has a dead arm. It isn't swollen, it looks completely normal and he is still moving it. From the elbow it just doesn't seem to be working. It's kind of bent inwards, from the elbow and when he moves his whole arm forward his foot just drags with it.
He doesn't seem to be in pain and he will let me pick him up to administer the eye drops and to feed him but i'm just worried that its more serious than it looks. Can you advise? Is another trip to the vet needed?
Thanks
Kerrie
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Supplements?

Diet?

Substrate?

Did the Vet remove the retained eye caps?

Did the Vet mention anything about a possible Vitamin A Deficiency?

Do you have a moist hide?

Joan

Customer

Hi Joan,

I have 2 Leo's and when the problem with the shed occurred both were in a plastic viv set up that i got from the person i bought them off. I used kitchen towels as substrate and they always had access to a moist hide.

My other Leo has been fine no problems at all. I have moved them into a larger viv now and i am using calcium enriched sand as substrate, they still have access to the moist hide.

I use calcium powder on their food, every other feed. They both eat mainly meal worms.

My vet did remove all of the shed over the eyes. Nothing was mentioned about any deficiency's, he said they both looked well looked after. He did treat them for worms though and said that they probably already had them when i got them.

Thanks

Kerrie

The calci sand should be removed from the enclosure. It is very dangerous to Reptiles. It is sold as a safe edible substrate, but is made of calcium carbonate and hardens like concrete in the intestinal tract over time when the Geckos lick it. All Reptiles taste their environment. I suggest using paper, tile, cage carpet or slate for a substrate. I have dealt with many Geckos with intestinal blockages from loose substrates. This is an X ray of a Bearded Dragon that has ingested sand: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3

Not only does sand cause blockages, it can cause skin problems and eye issues.

When there is a bad shed and retained eye caps we sometimes need to look at a possible Vitamin A Deficiency, which can cause shedding issues and retained eye caps. It may be something you want to speak with the Vet about. As far as the Leg, it may be the onset of Metabolic Bone Disease or this may have been a problem between the two geckos and an injury occured. You should be feeding calcium daily and vitamins twice a week. You also should be keeping a small dish of calcium in the enclosure at all times. This is very imnportant for geckos to have calcium available.

I would try some soaks and see if the Gecko will use the leg in the water. If he continues to have issues with the leg, it may require another Vet visit for a hands on exam to see if there is MBD, and injury or infection causing problem. If the geckos are both males, they will fight, if male and femal they will breed which can also get rough and may have cause the leg problem. Please let me know if you have further questions about the information. Joan

Joan41720.9793489815
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.