Joan, I have two concerns I hoping you can give me some guidance with. I own two indoor painted turtles and the past 3

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Hi Joan, I have two concerns I hoping you can give me some guidance with.
I own two indoor painted turtles and the past 3 weeks they haven't been eating and sleeping a lot. They are usually very active but then I thought maybe since it was winter they might be hibernating(they had an extra large appetite the weeks prior). Should I be concerned? I have a basking light and a day light and they still come out to bask under the light but aren't eating.
Secondly I recently noticed that one of my turtles eyes weren't opening. I took her out and gently rubbed them once a day the past week but no change. It really looks like her eyes are sealed shut and I'm really concerned. So right now one can see fine but doesn't eat, the other looks blind and also wont eat.
Answered by Jav917 in 5 mins 8 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Thank-you for requesting me. I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years wuth special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue,

Can you tell me about the UVB light? Is it a compact coil or linear florescent tube, strength, brand and age of bulb?

Water temps?

Is there swelling of the eyes?

Any bubbles from the nose or mouth?

Joan

Customer

Hi Joan.

Apologies for the delayed response, I was actually just monitoring the turtles. The blind one actually tried to bite some food but didn't seem to like it. Where in the past whenever i fed them they would eat non-stop so i'd monitor their portions.

I have this UVA light: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=129&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=1 - 50W

and this UVB light:

http://www.petco.com/product/108454/Zilla-Tropical-25-UVB-Fluorescent-13-Watt-Coil-Bulb.aspx

Water temperature is set currently to 76degrees

Well as for swelling the blind turtles eyes are sealed shut and looks puffy? i didn't really pay attn. to how her eyes used to look when closed when they weren't sealed shut. so possibly swollen shut?

As for bubbles from nose or mouth there aren't any visible bubbles when she is under the water.

I was actually called out on an injured snake and just got back, so your timing was fine. I believe we have two possible problems. The first is the UVB bulb you have can cause Photo Ketato Conjunctivitis. This makes the eyes swell shut and is caused by the coil UVB bulbs. You can read more about that here: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm I always subbest the Reptisun 10.0 florescent linear tube to run the length of the tank. This is a much safer option for a UVB bulb and gives off the right spectrum. I would see if you can get it changed: http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.phpEntryID=1522&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=5

The other issue we see with swollen eyes is the Vitamin A deficiency. This can be resolved with supplemental Vitamin A as well as feeding a little cooked liver. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1797&aid=2589 This is common in turtles, because of diet. You will want to raise the water temperature to 82* F because if teh water is too cool the turtles can go into Torpor which is a precusor to Hibernation which can be a reason for slowing down eating. If they are sick in any way we do not want them to go under for hibernation. I suggest changing the bulb asap and stop using the coil bulb. A day or two without the coil bulb may help. You can use plain saline in the eyes to soothe them. If they do not resolve with the light change, I would have them seen by a Herp Vet. I can locate some for you with a State. Please let me know if you have further questions. Joan

Customer

Hi Joan,

Oh, no I hope the snake was tended to in time and is on its way to recovery.

Thank you for your insight, I will try these suggestions you have provided. Can you resend me the link for the Reptisun 10.0 ? -- The link you provided doesn't load, the one that starts "http://www.zoomed.com...." I tried to google Reptisun 10.0 is it this? http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=554

Based on your expertise if my turtle doesn't open its eyes after changing the coil light to a florescent light how long should i wait before contacting a Herp Vet?

So I will turn off the current UVB coil light, turn up the temperature to 82*F this should possibly make them back to normal and eat? and hopefully help the blind one see again?

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Thank you.

Vincy

The snake was grazed by a car, but should recover with some time. It lost some scales.Nothing that I can not handle and once well will release in a safe area. People that do not know what they are dealing with are scared and will run over them. This one got lucky. The link you posted is the Reptisun 10.0 bulb. I would give it two to three days, and if it does not seem to get better, I would have him seen. As I said this may be Hypovitamintosis A, which is very common and diet is a big issue. I do not think the turtle is blind, but we need to identify the issue that is causing it. One we can identify the problem, then we can resolve the problem and get him back on track. This is a link for Vets in your area: http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/canrepvt.htm#ont Please let me know if you have further questions. Happy Holiday Season! Joan

Customer

Hi Joan,

I went to the pet store to purchase the plain saline and the florescent linear tube to run the length of the tank. A question though, when I was at the pet store they questioned why I wanted the 10.0 as a 5.0 would be sufficient. Two of the employees consulted me and cautioned me that the 10.0 may be too strong.(at the same time they said the coil bulbs were fine) I told them I consulted a vet and was informed to get the 10.0 and that coil bulbs were not good. Can you share why you recommend the 10.0 above the 5.0?

I've placed the eye drops in them just now and will monitor them and keep you posted.

Thanks.

Vincy

Bearded Dragons are desert lizards and come from Austrailia where the UVB rays are much stronger. The 5.0 will not metabolize the calcium to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. I showed you in this link why I do not recommend the coil bulbs in this link: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm This may also help you understand the UVB out put and why certain bulbs are recommended. The bulb I also recommended is a linear tube and not a coil type bulb.This was a professional study done on UVB bulb brands and strength: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Researchmain.html This test actually shows Mercury Vapor bulb results which are even stronger than a 10.0 linear tube.

I would never give any information on lighting or care unless I have studied and had experience on what I recommend. The saline can come from any Pharmacy. All you need is sterile slaine eye drops without preservatives. Joan

Joan41618.086795162
Customer

Hi Joan,

I think you may have confused me with another patient. My discussion has been about Painted Turtles.

Can you please double check your diagnosis.

Thank you.

Vincy

I am so sorry! I was working with a Dragon and cut over to assist you. The 10.0 linear tube is the same reasoning as we use for Dragons. It is more effective to give a good spectrum of UVB. Turtles have to metabolize the calcium in the body by the UVB rays. The coild type as I said can cause serious eye issues. As far as the 5.0 they are very concentrated when first turned on but the do not offer the full spectrum of the UVB to take care of the turtles in a tank. As I said, would never recommend a product I would not use for my animals and resuces. The Beautiful Dragon site I gave you works for all reptiles since it shows how the different UVB and Mercury Vapor bulbs have different outputs of UVB rays. My appologies aon my mistake. Joan

Joan41618.0960023958
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.