Our bearded dragon lizard, a sandfire, has not been well for a month or more. His eyes are mostly shut, droopy, he is

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: our bearded dragon lizard, a sandfire, has not been well for a month or more. His eyes are mostly shut, droopy, he is not moving nor eating much. He seems stiffer. he has lost weight. He used to be 1.1 oz and now he is 0.7.

He has a good heat lamp and crickets (which he does not even notice). He also has greens and he is not eating them. he never have been eating greens except insects. he stopped eating insects around 2 months ago and he been in the same spot for a whole day. he hasn't been growing at all, i have this baby and it is already bigger then him. and im extremly worried, and i wish there is something i could do. is there anything which anyone could do, to help him live? i pick him up and how ever i put him down, he stays like that not gripping on. he is very sick, please help!!! SOS
Answered by Jav917 in 9 hours 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years and have done reptile rescue for 15+ years.

Age of Dragon?

Is it housed alone?

Can you tell me about the enclosure?
Substrate/bedding?

Diet Prey/veggies?

Supplements?

UVB light? Florescent Linear tube or compact coil, strength, how old, brand?

Basking light?

Temps in Basking area, warm side and cool side? How measured?

Passing stool?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Customer
One year old
A carpet type thing from pet store is on bottom of aquarium
Typical Petco aquarium
No UVB LIGHT only warm basking light
Used to eat crickets meal worms, lettuce and pink gooy Lizard food from
Petco
Currently not eating much maybe just the pink goo
Has been housed alone since sick
Originally was only lizard my son had, then he got six more babies all
At once, all in same cage w this lizard. Maybe two months later this lizard
Starting looking sick so since then he s housed separately.
The other lizards are fine
No supplements
What color is stool?
I think he is pass g stool
Thnx

You have some serious husbandry issues that can be causing some of the problems that you are seeing. You do not have a UVB bulb which is absolutely needed for the heath of a Dragon. Without UVB the calcium is not metabolized in the body and the Dragon will get Metabolic Bone Disease: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

.The Tube should be a Reptisun 10.0 and run the length of the tank and should run 12-14 hours a day along with the basking light . The next issue is Diet, I would change the veggies, since lettuce has no nutritional value and the stuff sold but the pet shops are not suitable for the dietary needs of Reptiles: Dragons under a year old need to have 80% live prey and 20% veggies. The live prey should include crickets, roaches, silk worms, phoenix worms and Goliath worms. Meal worms and super worms are too high in chitin which is the hard outer shell. Wax worms are like feeding candy. As far as veggies,carrots if given too often can actually cause eye problems. I suggest collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, butternut squash and various berries for a treat. All prey and veggies should be dusted witha good plain calcium daily. This is a good food chart: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

The UVB lights should be about 12" away from the Dragon and the Basking area temps at 105-110*, warm side in the 90's and cool side in the 80's. The stick on thermometers are just and can be off as much as 20* either way. I suggest a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun which are more accurate. The foods they have sold you to feed are not good. Dragons are solitary and should never be housed with another Dragon. They will bully each other as well as cause injuries with toe nips, tail nips and other injuries. We see a lot of bad information coming out of the pet shops. I am concerned we may be dealing either with a parasite issue the way you are explaining things or we may be dealing with the onset of Metabolic Bone disease becuase the lack of UVB light. In a case like this we should have the Dragon seen a Herp Vet asap.. We need to start first aid by giving a soak in Pedialyte and warm water soak 50/50 to start hydrating and prevent dehydration. You need to get the corrections done to help your Dragon and also to prevent the other Dragons drom getting ill. The UVB and calcium are #1 in helping to get the Dragon doing better. I would get the temps correct and the diet. Right now if the Dragon is not eating, we can take chicken baby food and mix with plain calcium and drop on the snout and see if he will lick it off. Please supply a State and I can locate a Herp Vet. Pet shop employees are not trained to give proper husbandry, they are trained to sell products and we see a lot of Reptiles haveing medical issues due to poor information from the pet shops. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am here to assist you. Joan

Joan41598.9381891898
Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about Bearded Dragon. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.