Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  35+ years experience as veterinary tech and 40+ years experience doing reptile rescues.
5071285

How hard do you massage the gecko. Worried about hurting h

How hard do you massage the gecko. Worried about hurting her.

When doing the massage in the water, gently take two fingers and start below the head and run then down the midline to the vent area where the stool is passed. Repeat this two or three times. You do not press hard but use a light touch to help move any stool or undigested food through. I do suggest you feed as long as she is still eating. Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Joan. She still hasn't gone poo. She is eating and just shed. Maybe we didn't give enough prunes (the size of half a pea?). It didn't seem like much and she would shake it off, so I don't think very much got into her. How much and how often can we give the prunes? Is this something she should get regularly? Or just as a treatment occasionally? Thanks for following up.
Sabina

Hi Sabrina,

Now she has shed, you can try again with the prunes. You can see if you put some on your finger if she will lick it off. Since she is eating and has a good appetite, I would not worry. I suspect that she will most likely go on her own very soon. If she was not eating at all, then I would be really concerned. If the prunes do not work you can try dipping a cricket in some mineral oil and feet the one cricket, wait an hour and give her the soak. I do not like to use mineral oil since it can be aspirated into the lungs if forced, but if she is eating and we dip the prey in it, that is much safer. The prunes can be given if she does not go once a week. Joan