My year old bearded dragon has suddenly started scratching at her tank constantly, rubbing her nose against the glass

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My year old bearded dragon has suddenly started scratching at her tank constantly, rubbing her nose against the glass and pacing all over. She's done this every day for the past week, only stopping to eat the Phoenix worms I offer her and to bask briefly before going at it again. I thought it was because her basking spot was too hot, but since adjusting the temperature she is still just as restless. I also changed the substrate from Reptifresh sand to reptile carpet, but she had been glass dancing even before that. A bearded dragon forum told me she may be carrying unfertilized eggs, so I set up a dig box for her to lay in and so far she's only sat in it while still clawing at the glass. Are there any other reasons she's become so restless all of a sudden?
Answered by Jav917 in 7 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue.

Are you sure Amalia is less than a year old?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Size of tank?

UVB is it a florescent tube or compact coil, strength, age of bulb, brand?

Basking bulb?

Temps in basking area, warm side and cool side?

Supplements?

Diet Prey/veggies?

Has she gained any weight?

If you gently feel her abdomen, can you feel like what would be marbles?

Is she passing stool?

State to locate a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer

Hi there,

Amalia is at least a year old. There wasn't an option for 1 year, so I picked "less than". She was about 6 inches a year ago when I had gotten her from a Petsmart.

She is housed in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I have a desert background covering the back and sides. One side has a 150 watt heating bulb, and a 24 inch Reptisun 10.0 UVB bulb. Both lights rest on the screen covering of the tank. The substrate is currently reptile carpet, but prior to this happening it had been Reptifresh odor reducing sand. She has a rock to bask on, which doubles as a hide, a branch and hammock to climb on and a log to hide under on the cool side of the tank.

The ambient temperature of the basking spot is 95 degrees F. The spot itself is 110 degrees. The cool side averages 80 degrees.

I feed her crickets and superworms, both supplemented with Rep-Cal Calcium and Herptivite. I am gradually weaning her off both to replace them with Phoenix worms and dubia roaches. The veggies I feed her are a mixture of collard, mustard and dandelion greens.

She's gained a little weight as she's grown, but I figured that was normal.

I don't feel anything when I feel her abdomen.

She is passing stool, but it has gotten significantly smaller since this started.

I am located in NJ. The Petsmart I frequent has a hospital that can treat reptiles, as I've checked in advance just in case I needed to go.

Thanks

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

The Husbandry sounds great especially since you changed the substrate from the sand to the Repticarpet. The sand is very dangerous. The UVB needs to e changed every 6 months, so you may just want to chek on that. The diet is great and the plans to change to Dubia roaches and Phoenix worms is excellent. It is possible if she is over a year that she is carrying unfertile eggs. The signs she is showing is typical of a gravid female, but she is not quite ready to lay since she is still eating. I am going to give you a link of an article that I was one of the Co Authors and have you read it. It explains about breeding and how to set up a proper lay box. We do not just put a box in the tank, bust we set up a large rubbermade and it is done in a specific way. I am giving you this so you can read on how to set up a lay bin and what to expect: http://repticzone.com/articles/beardeddragonbreeding101hrtmtn.html If she does not lay the first time that you put her in, take her out and give her a soak in a 50/50 warm water and Pedialyte soak and put her back in her enclosure for the next day. I would have her X rayed for eggs to be sure she is not going through egg binding. I am also going to give you Herp Vets in NJ: http://www.anapsid.org/vets/newjersey.html and http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/#NewJersey These Vets are all specialists unlike the ones at Petco. The Breeding Dragons 101 is a good comprehensive article that goes over what needs to be done when a dragon is gravid and how to care for them after they lay the eggs. If she does lay eggs, she will be very tired, so you will need to get her into a soak as I mentioned above and then push the high calcium foods and phoenix worms, silk worms and the Dubia roaches, to help get her strength back up. Please let me know if you have further questions. Joan

Hi Dennis,

I wanted to give you this link for a Picture of lay bins made from Rubbermade tubs:

http://www.dachiubeardeddragons.com/dragoncare/layingbins.jpg This if from one of the biggest Dragon Breeders Dachiu Dragons. Joan

Joan41531.0176558796
Customer

Hi Joan

I'm going to put a lay bin together, get some Pedialyte for the soak and schedule an appointment for Amalia at one of those vets. I'd just like to know if there are other reasons this behavior would come on so suddenly, just in case she's not about to lay after all. Thanks for your help.

Hi Dennis,

Dragons will glass dance, but the age and season is perfect for her laying eggs. It is the sudden anxiousness and behavior all of a sudden that leads me to believe she may have eggs. It was nice to read about the husbandry being so spot on. I cannot think of anything else that would cause this sudden change in behavior. One of my females did not lay her first infertile clutch of eggs until she was 8 years old and never gave me a clue until I found eggs in the tank. I had to rush and get everything ready so she could finish laying her clutch. In tis case you are getting some notification that this may be a clutch getting ready to be laid. Joan

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.