Reptile

Have Reptile Veterinary Questions? Ask a Reptile Expert.

Reptile

My leopard gecko goes to the bathroom in the corner of the

cage. Today, I noticed...
My leopard gecko goes to the bathroom in the corner of the cage. Today, I noticed that along with the solid white (urine?), there was a good amount of what looked like dirt or ground up bark. What could this be? I know he ate 12 large crickets a few nights ago, which he doesn't ever do. He eats the smaller ones, normally. He's over a year old. Should I be concerned? His tail is fat and he seems/looks fine.
8/27/2013
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell meabout the set up?ps

Substrate?

Supplements?

Temps in the enclosure and how measured?

Heat source?

Diet?

Joan

20 gallon tank with 3 hides, a water bowl and a bowl with wet moss. Am I able to send a picture of it?

I do not need a picture, but I do need this information:

Substrate/bedding?
Supplements?

Heat source?

Diet?

He has a carpet substrate that is on the bottom of his cage

I powder his crickets (he eats 12-15 small every other day) 2-3 times a week with ReptoCal powdered calcium and Vitamin D

On the cool side is 80 and the hot side is 95. It's measured by thermometers stuck on the inside back of the cage, one on the left, one on the right. They're half way from the floor to the top of the cage.

Diet is 10-12 smaller crickets every other day. On the days he (or she) doesn't get crickets, he gets 5-6 mealworms

A few days ago, though, he ate 12 large crickets instead of the small ones he normally eats. Could he be constipated? He was being taken care of by a family member when we were out of town for a few days and she accidentally bought the large crickets instead of the small ones.

Your warm side is way too warm for a leopard gecko. The temps should not go over 87*F on the warm side of the tank. I would go with a plain calcium supplement without Phosphorus and D3. It is easy for D3 to cause neurological problems in reptiles. The cage carpet is great. I suspect what you had seen is undigested Chitin which is the hard outer shell from crickets and meal worms. Since the crickets were larger, they may not have digested properly. I would change to paper towels in your moist hides, since moss can be ingested and cause a blockage in the intestinal tract. I like to make my hides from margerine conatiners with lids. I cut a hole in the side and turn them on their lids, with a moist paper towel in the bottom. It is easy to change and much safer than moss. I would also use an under the tank heater for a heat source, since Geckos are nocturnal, they are more receptive to the UTH vs Overhead lighting. Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to continue with you. Joan

If this is undigested, is it something for which I need to take him to the vet? Also, the under the tank heater doesn't seem to get the cage warm enough on the hot side? Is there one you can recommend? Thank you so much for your time.

You can use an overhead black light, but leopard geckos actually sense heat from underneath to be comfortable. A good UTH is made by ZooMed. As I said your tank temps are way too warm, so it will not hurt for them to have an ambiet temp of 82*-85* which is perfect. As long as your Gecko is defecating, I do not think you have to worry. You can do a soak in a 50/50 warm water and pedialyte solution to help with hydration. Gently massage the abdomen from snout to vent. This is usually helpful. As long as the gecko is eating and passing stool, you should be fine. Joan

Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician
Joan
Joan
Joan, Veterinary Technician