Your eyelash crested gecko was in a temporary cage outside for about 15 minutes. My son found him stiff. (His tail, and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our eyelash crested gecko was in a temporary cage outside for about 15 minutes. My son found him stiff. (His tail, and back legs and slightly in the front legs)He can lick his tongue and move his head slightly. Can he recover from this or is he beyond help?
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet Tech with special interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue.

Can you tell me when you say outside, do you mean in the outs yard in a cage?

What are the temps outside?

What type of normal set up do you have?

What type of diet do you feed?

What is the humidity?

Joan

Customer

we are on vacation so we had a temporary cage for the night. It's about 80 to 85 degrees outside right now.I think the cage got very hot he was only outside for about 15 minutes in the cage. He's normally in his regular cage which is very big. he normally eats crickets and the crested gecko diet powder version.we don't have a thermometer for the humidity with us we just been spraying it Often

The outside temps were way too hot for a Crested Gecko and it got dehydrated. Their normal temps should not go over 78*F. They cannot tolerate the warm temperatures and need a high humidity. We can try and rehydrate the Crested, by making a shallow soak of room temperature water and Pedialyte. This will help hydrate the Crested, because the can absorb fluids through the vent area(where they pass stool). The Pedialyte will help replace the eletrolytes. You will need to mist the enclosure well and make sure it is in the mid 70's. If the crested starts to respond, mix the Crested gecko diet with some fruit baby food and try feeding off you finger. They need fruit baby food calcium and crested gecko diet to balance out their food.

If you give me a state where you are located now I will see if I can locate a Herp Vet to get the Crested in to be seen. Since I cannot see how bad he is i cannot say if he will completely recover, but we can try the first aid and having him seen for hands on Vet care. Please let me know if you have further questions. I am here to help you and your Crested gecko. Joan

Customer

Thanks for your help. We are hopeful he will be Ok. We live in Illinois. How long should he stay in the soak.

If you can keep him in for 15 mins that would help. You will need to support his head so it does not go under. This is a link for Herp Vets in IL: http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/#Illinois or http://www.anapsid.org/vets/illinois.html .

Dehydration is the enemy, and if we can rehydrate him until he can see a reptile specialist, we have a fighting chance to save him. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.