My female veiled chameleon's genitals are protruding. As well, her ribs more recently look deformed or broken, and her

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My female veiled chameleon's genitals are protruding. As well, her ribs more recently look deformed or broken , and her excrement is gray. She is appx a year old. We know she may need to lay eggs and are putting her in sand to be safe. We have her sister too. She is doing very well, and has never laid eggs. Please advise us. We are really worried.
Thank you!
Answered by Anna in 14 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of your chameleon's problems. You do have reason to be worried. Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Is it possible that what is protruding may be her intestines?

What brand and size of UVB light do you have? How old is the bulb?

What is the temperature in the basking area? And on the cool side?

What is the humidity level?

Do her eyes look sunken?

What is your zip code so I can locate a reptile vet for you?

Sorry for so many questions, but these things could all be factors in what is going on. Thank you.

41475.7670261458
Hi again,

It appears you went offline without seeing my request for more information. That information would help me figure out why your chameleon is having this problem, but regardless of the reasons why, I don't want you to have to wait any longer. When any organ protrudes from the vent, the chameleon is suffering from a prolapse. This could be due to an inability to pass eggs, or to straining to pass droppings. Either way, it is a medical emergency. Your chameleon needs to be seen by a reptile vet very soon. I'll give you a first aid measure for now.Make a paste of some table sugar and water. Cover the prolapsed organ with it. Also place some of the paste on a clean paper towel, and set your chameleon in it. Sometimes this will cause the prolapse to go back into the body. This is a first aid measure only, and you will need to take the chameleon to a reptile vet who can treat her appropriately as soon as possible. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Even if the prolapse goes back in when you apply the sugar paste, it's important to see a vet. Once this happens, it will probably happen again, and a vet can take steps to prevent that. Your chameleon may also need antibiotics to prevent infection. If the problem is related to dystocia (egg-laying difficulties) the vet may give oxytocin, or surgery may be needed. You can read more about these problems here:

http://www.chameleonden.co.uk/dystocia.html

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll be able to quickly get help, and your chameleon will be fine.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.