We have just purchased a beautiful sentagal chameleon named Lizar. We went to check on him and his back right leg was

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: We have just purchased a beautiful sentagal chameleon named Lizar. We went to check on him and his back right leg was swollen. He will not put any pressure on it. But he is climbing around. It has a small white dot on it also. He is in a 30 gallon terrarium with UVB lights for day and night with sticks and leaves it it. Temp is generally 80-85 degrees and humidity at 30. He ate two crickets two days ago and we mist him no less than twice daily. I may have given you too much info. But don't know what to do about his little leg. Any help would be appreciated thank you
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech with specail interest in Reptiles and reptile rescue. In order to help you I need to ask some questions.

Is the habitat a mesh cage or glass tank?

Do you have a auto mister or dripper?

Do you have a UVB light or MVB light? If UVB: How old, strength, Compact coil or florescent tube and brand?

Do you have a basking light?

Do you use any supplements?

Diet you are feeding?

Can you post a picture of the leg? You can use the paper clip icon in the tool bar or Photobucket which is a free photo server and post the link here.

Joan

Customer
We have a glass tank 30 gallons. A dripper and UVB light one that imitates sunlight and another one that imitates moonlight. No supplements. We feed him crickets which he ate two days ago. We have only had him for little over a week
http://s1350.photobucket.com/user/Bev_Vernon/media/image_zps8f36fd65.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

We are finding poor information coming out of Pet shops about Husbandry and I need to ask a few more questions.

I need to know more about the lights. Is the light a florescent tube or a compact coil light. The name brand of the bulb, the strength of the bulb?

Is the tank a tall one?

Once I get all the information, please give me a few mins to type the answer. I am not very fast, but I will have a lot of info for you. Joan

Joan41444.8788979514
Customer
150 watt coil light name brand Zilla. His cage is like an aquarium
Customer
He is now just laying on the floor of his habitat

Thank-you! You were given some poor information as I suspected. Chameleons need tall screened enclosures. They do not like the reflection in the glass of a tank and they need the height, since the are arboreal in nature this is the type enclosure you should have: http://www.screencages.com/img/chameleon.gif They also need an auto misting unit, because dehyration is a very big problem with chameleons. The dripper is ok, but they really do better with the auto mister for drinking off the leaves and branches as well as hydration. The UVB should be a florescent tube like the Reptisun 10.0: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/11442-504983/reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html which supplies a good spectrum of UVB rays to help Lizar. The coil bulbs can be dangerous to the eyes: Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm They also need a calcium supplement on all food items at least 4 days a week to work with the proper UVB light to metabolize calcium into Vitamin D3 in the body. Without the proper UVB light and the calcium supplement, Lizar can get MBD(Metabolic Bone Disease): http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm.

The swollen leg is one of the signs we see with MBD. I suspect that there is either an infection in the leg or it is the begining of MBD. This will need to be addressed by a Herp Vet. I can locate some for you with a State. Right now we can start some first aid. by giving a warm soak in a 50/50 mixture of warm water and Pedialyte eletrolyte solution and add some plain calcium to the water. Reptiles can absorb fluids through the vent area and this can help Lizar. Soak for 15 mins. http://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/senegal/

Please let me know if you have further questions and I will be happy to continue with you. Joan

Joan41444.8987262847
Customer
Where can I find the calcium

Most pet shops carry calcium. I suggest plain calcium without Vitamin D 3 or Phosphorus. Too much D 3 can cause neurological problems. This is one brand to look for: http://www.flukerfarms.com/calciumd3freeandphosphorusfreediet.aspx many of the Larger pet shops carry this or one like it without D3 and Phosphorus. Joan

Customer
Thank you so much. Heading to pet shop now. We have several vets but none that I know of in our area that specializes in reptiles. Any help in that matter would also be appreciated.

I need a State to locate some Reptile Vets for you. Joan

Customer
Missouri. We live in Poplar Bluff.

These are the links for Herp Vets: http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/#Missouri ---- http://www.anapsid.org/vets/missouri.html I hope I have met my goal of 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Hi Bev, I'm just following up on our conversation about Lizar. How is everything going? Joan
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.