Joan, my beardy has an eye problem that is worrying me. can you help ??? One of his eyes has moved up to the corner

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: hi joan, my beardy has an eye problem that is worrying me. can you help ??? One of his eyes has moved up to the corner (instead of been central) off center if you will. It doesnt seem to be affecting him but i worry it will only get worse if not treated. Please help a worried owner. here is my e-mail, many thanks [email protected]
Answered by Jav917 in 1 hour 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Hello and thank-you for requesting me,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Vet tech for 30+ years with special interest in reptiles and reptile rescue. I need to ask some questions to be able to assist you.

Can you post a picture of the eye? You can use the paper clip icon in the tool bar if you have a PC, if a Mac or pad please use Photobucket.com.

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet prey/veggies?

Supplements?

Substrate?

UVB bulb? How old, florescent tube or coil, strength and brand of bulb?

Basking bulb?

Temps?

Customer

hi joan i spoke to you yesterday, im currently trying to get some pics to you. my lizard eats cickets & salad, ive used a calcium powder in the past but found he didnt eat the salad afterwards ?? I also used to use calci sand but changed to childs soft sand when i made a bigger viv, there`s also natural stone & shale in the viv the keep his claws sharp. i use exoterra uvb10 lights & a 60w heat bulb both of which arn`t more than a few months old. My temps are around 80c/105c. Hope this info will help you & i`ll try my best to get the pics to you, just having abit of trouble. many thanks again scott.

Hi Scott,

Thank-you for the information. I think you meant 80F/105F on temps, because at Centigrade the Dragon would have been cooked Wink. I will await the pictures, because they may give me a better idea of what is happening with the eye. Joan

Joan41423.6140542361
Customer

morning joan, im having trouble posting my pics on here. do u have another way i can get the pics to you ???? ive got a good shot which shows the eye & you can see that there is no discolour/clouding or damage to the eye. i would really like you to see this pic as well. in my previous messages i forgot to say there is also a water feature in the viv with running water so he knows where it is. scott

Hi Scott,

You can email it to [email protected] and ask they post the picture on this thread or send it to me. Give them this link: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-reptile/7s9di-hi-joan-beardy-eye-problem-worrying-me.html , so they know who it belongs to and makes sure it gets to me. It may take a day or two to get it. The picture is very important. Joan

I appologise for taking so long to get back to you. I just got the pictures this morning and I just reviewed them. The first picture was the best one that shows what may be going on. After reviewing them what it looks like is there is retained shed in the corner of the eye pushing the eye upward and to the side. When this happens a Herp Vet will need to go in and remove the retained shed so the eye can go back into place. They will then give an antibiotic ointment to help the eye. This is not an uncommon problem and may have been a result of the substrate which is sand in any form can cause this type of problem. Calci Sand is the worst as well as the ground walnut shell. You can use a Sterile Saline eye drop in the affected eye two times a day. I would be happy to try and locate a Herp Vet for you if you supply a State. Please forgive me for the time it took to get you an answer, but I had to wait for the Moderators to get me the pictures. Joan

Customer

hi joan, thank you very much for diagnosing the problem. i feel abit more at ease now. im in england so im not sure if there is a herp vet ???? im in barnsley, south yorkshire s70 3px. i might have to see if theres an vet in the area that can help. thank you again.

Hi Scott,

I have links for Reptile Specialists in the UK: http://www.ukbeardeddragons.co.uk/vet%20directory.htm and this link: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/Vets.php I hope that you will be able to locate one in your area. I hope I have Met my goal of 100% Excellent Service and you will rate my service before leaving the site. I will be checking back in to see how the vist went and how the eye is doing. Joan

Joan41429.6320295486
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.