I saved a lizard (small) skin kinda like a bearded dragon.. i'm from tucson.. my bd ate him! that was yesterday, he ate

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: i saved a lizard (small) skin kinda like a bearded dragon.. i'm from tucson.. my bd ate him! that was yesterday, he ate his greens today and seems to be acting fine. Still has not pooped. will he be ok?
Answered by Anna in 5 hours 9 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in reptiles. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.

If the small lizard was toxic, you would have seen effects by now, so the biggest danger is impaction. You can use a special soak as a first aid measure. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants), and prepare a shallow warm bath consisting of 1/2 warm water and 1/2 Pedialyte. Soak your dragon for about 20 to 30 minutes. After the first 10 minutes, with him still in the water, gently massage his underside from front to vent (where droppings pass out) for an additional 10 minutes. That may be enough to help him pass some feces. Try to get him to swim while he's in the water, as that can help, too. Be sure to supervise closely. This can be repeated twice a day.

If your dragon loses his appetite, continues to be unable to poo after several soaks, or his abdomen swells, you'll need to see a reptile vet. This link will help you find one:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dragon will be fine.

Anna

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.