I have a 6 year old chameleon, the past week he don't eat or drink anything, it seems like he can only extend his tongue

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 6 year old chameleon, the past week he don't eat or drink anything, it seems like he can only extend his tongue out a little bit.the last day or so all he wants to do is sleep.What should we do.? we allready took him to a vet & he said it was nothing wrong with him 7 it might be his eye site, I don't think so because my son said he thinks it is getting weak. He used to live with me for the past 6 years in a tree in the window but my son took him a few weeks ago, would this make him depressed?
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Did he see a reptile specialist?

What type of chameleon is Buddy?

What kind of set up does he have for him? A screen enclosure or tank?

Automister?

Diet?

Supplements?

UVB light? How old, florescent tube or compact coil, how old, strength and brand?

Basking light?

Temps?

Joan

Customer

He lives in a tree in the window for the pass 6 years, he gets lots of sunlight. we feed him mealworms & crickets...

This means he does not have any UVB or basking lights?

Any supplements fed?

Waas he seen by a Reptile vet because you mention a Vet had seen him?

Is he misted?

Is he in a screen enclosure or a tank?

What type of chameleon is he? Veiled, Panther etc?

Joan

Customer

yes we give him a electrodize supplement, yes he seen a vet three weeks ago, the only light he gets is sunlight a& a light when we puts him in is glass cage to feed him he got water with a motor in it .he is a chamelon that change colours, light green & dark green.

Hello

You have several issues. UVB cannot penetrate glass so being by a window does not supply adequate UVB rays for a Chameleon. They need a UVB light. This is usually a Florescent type tube that gives off UVB rays to help metabolize a calcium supplement in the body. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubeintro.htm

Buddy should also be getting a calcium supplement dusted on his prey. Without the UVB and the calcium, he is subject to a problem called Metabolic Bone diesease. This weakens the immune system, the bones and compromizes the organs in the body. http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptilesgeneral/a/metabolicbd.htm

I suspect that Buddy is suffering with MBD. This will cause the weakness you are seein. The first step to helping him is to get him in an eletrolyte soak of 50/50 warm water and plain Pedialyye. This will help rehydrate hi, Next get a UVB bulb over him He needs a Reptisun 10.0 florescent tube and it needs to be within 12" of him. You will need to start getting calcium on all his prey. To help build him back up, he can have chicken or beef baby food mixed with calcium and fed with a syringe carefully in his mouth. He needs to be misted with an auto mister. He should be ina screened enclosure which allows air to go through and should have a basking light to give the proper temperatures. Thsi is a care sheet for chameleons that goes ove my information above: http://www.veiledchameleoncaresheet.com/ The chameleon needs to be seen by a reptile specialist asap for calcium supplements to work with the new UVB light. If the husbandry is not corrected you most likely will loose him. If you supply a State, I can locate a Reptile Specialist who can help with Buddy. Please let me know if you have further questions. Joan

Joan41378.9127033333

My name is Camille and I’m the moderator for this topic. I noticed that you have opted out your professional. If you are still waiting for an answer, I will try to find a new professional to assist you! Please keep in mind that sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. All of our professionals come on at varying times, so sometimes it’s a bit difficult to predict. Either way....If you would prefer not to wait, please feel free to let me know, and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you.

Camille

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.