I have a bearded dragon that is about a year and a few months old he is about 15 1/2 inches since last week my beardie

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a bearded dragon that is about a year and a few months old he is about 15 1/2 inches long since last week my beardie has stopped eating and had not deficated until today I'm worried he may be impacted or possibly have coccidia I'm uncertain of which and was hoping if you can contact me I can send pictures as well if it will help
Answered by Jav917 in 11 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about the enclosure?

What type of diet are you feeding? Prey/veggies?

Do you feed supplements?

How many lights do you have?

Do you have a UVB bulb which would be a florescent tube or compact coil bulb? If so how old is it, the strength of the bulb, name brand?

Do you have a basking bulb?

What type of substrate do you use?

Are the stools loose or smelly?

Joan

Customer
The cage is an aquarium 36inch long by 12 inch wide by 16 deep. The week before this happened he was fed several meal worms which is where the fear of impaction came from I feed him a mix of flukers buffet blend bearded dragon food and vegetables all of which I have made sure he can eat. The only supplement I use occasionally is a calcium powder. I have 2 lights one heat bulb 100watts and one UVB coil bulb. I use vitasand for his substrate. The stools are not loose and I was able to smell a strong odor when he deficated the stool has very large nitrate attached to it as well.

How old is the Compact coil bulb and the strength?

Do you know the temps in the Basing area, warm side and cool side?

Joan

Customer
The coil bulb is fairly old I'm not sure of the exact age probably around 4 months old and I believe it was a 20 watt bulb but am not for certain. The basking area is around 95-100 degrees and the cool side is around 75-80 degrees

The white you had seen with the stool is Urates, not nitrates. The first thing I would do is get rid of the vita sand. Sand and loose substrates are sold as safe but extremely dangerous. If anything would cause a problem the sand would cause corneal ulcers, skin problems and intestinal blockages: This will give you an idea about Sand as a substrate: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3

The next issue is the UVB should be a Retisun 10.0 florescent tube. The UVB you have is not sufficeint and can loose its potencey. The UVb plays a big part in the health of a Dragon. It should be used in conjunction with a daily calcium supplement 5 days a week and 2 days a week for a vitamin supplement. You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They need 80% veggies daily and 20% live prey over a year of age. The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms.The meal worms hold little nutritional value and arehigh in chitin which is the outer shells and can cause a blockage. Super worms and wax worms are like giving the Dragon candy. All
veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins
2 days a week.

For now we need to give the Dragon a soak in 50/50 warm water and plain Pedialyte to prevent dehydration. While in the soak gently massage the abdomen to help promote a stool. This can even be done daily because Dragons absorb fluids through the vent area. Please soak at least 30 mins. I do suggest a Herp vet visit to help rule out a parasite issue. I can locate a Herp Vet for you with State.

I am hoping that the soak will get him feeling better along with a better UVB light and Calcium supplement. Without the UVB and calcium supplement your Dragon can wind up with metabolic bone disease. Please let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to continue with you. My goal is 100% Excellent Service. Joan

Customer
I have 2 beardies in almost identical cages and are the same age they have both been fed the same up until I fed the super worms to the beardie that is currently sick would this lead me to believe that this is caused by impaction rather then another illness?

Sand can cause impactions and over time depending on how much is ingested over time is how it will affect the Dragons. I do not think the meals worms you fed would be the sole problem. They may have been a problem compounded with the sand. The meal worms could add to this. You can try some baby food prunes about an hour before the soak and see if it helps. All Dragoms do carry a parasite load, and something can trigger it to bloom, so we cannot rule that out. I also suggest updating the lighting and starting the calcium supplement regularly, to preven MBD. Joan

Joan41372.0295375579
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.