My bearded dragon has been refusing food over the last few days. His tank is properly lit and heated (as far as i can

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My bearded dragon has been refusing food over the last few days. His tank is properly lit and heated (as far as i can tell). He has a 40w for heat source that rests on top on the mesh cage, and a 26w Repti Glo uvb bulb as well. Me and my girlfriend recently moved him and our other beardie to a different room in the house when we purchased bigger tanks for them. I suspect he might just be reacting to the change in evironment/temp, but I'm not sure. He's very lethargic and refuses the roaches that he normally cant get enough of, what should I do?
Answered by Jav917 in 3 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me about his set up?

Is he housed alone?

Is the UVB a florescent tube or compact coil strength, and how old?

Substrate?

Supplements?

Diet prey/veggies?

Temps and how measured in Basking area, warm side and cool side?

How long do you leave lights on?

Passing stool?

Joan

Joan41358.0407109143
Customer

He has a climbing branch and a stand for basking, and there is a stone cave prop on the cooler side of the tank. There is also a container for greens and another for water, which i change every day.

He is housed alone, but a month ago both Max and Mazie (my other beardie) were housed together. It seemed like they needed their own space so we bought to bigger tanks for each of them.

The UVB is a compact coil strength. It says Repti Glo 10.0 on the package. I just bought it recently, less than a month old.

Right now Max's substrate is paper towels, until I can go buy two more ceramic tiles for the tank (which is what Mazie has).

Not sure what you mean by "supplements"

I feed them both Dubais roaches and mustard greens or romaine lettuce.

I have a digital temp for warm side and stick on temp for cool side. Hot side is around 100 F, cool side is around 70 F.

I leave the lights on for 10 -12 hours a day

Supplements would be the calcium supplement dusted on the prey and veggies 5 days a week and a vitamin 2 times a week. Your husbandry sounds very good with the exception of the UVB bulb. The Coil type bulbs can cause some problems with the eyes. It is called Photo Kerato Conjunctivitis, which over the time using a coil bulb this can occur: Compact UVB problems: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-info.htm I suggest a Reptisun 10.0 florescent tube which are more effective and safer. I also suggest 12-14 hours a day of UVB and heat lamps. The temps in the basking area should be 105*-110*F, the warm area 90's and the cool side 80's. The change of rooms and set up may be playing a part in what is happening, but we can try some first aid to see if we can get him eating again. I would like you to get him into a soak of 50/50 warm water and plain Pedialyte and soak for 30 mins. While in the saok massgae the abdomen and see if he passes a stool. This should get him feeling better. This does not sound like a blockage, but he may have a parasite issue going on. If under a year old, he may be having some puberty issues since he was in with a female at one time. If he can see her that may be an issue. I would increase the temps a bit and change out the UVB to see if that helps. I do suggest a Herp Vet visit if he does not respond to the changes I am suggesting. I can locate one for you with a State. Dragons will react to change, so that may be the issue, but I would only give him a few days and if he does not respond have him seen. Please let me know if you have further questions, and I will be happy to continue with you. I do want to suggest if he is not eating at all, that you try some chicken baby food mixed with calcium powder and drop on the snout and see if he will lick it off. My goal is to give you 100% excellent service. Joan

Hi Matthew, I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going? Joan
Customer

Hello Joan,

Max is doing fine, he started to move around and be more active on Monday night, so I decided to try some roaches again and sure enough he ate 4 or 5 of them. I guess moving him back up to my room as the best move, as it is warmer up here. Thank you for all your help and insight, I really appreciate it. Max thanks you too:)

Glad Max is doing well and eating again! Hope all continues to be good for Max.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.