My sisters gecko was fine this afternoon, but now she seams dead, doesn't look like she is breathing and is not moving

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My sisters gecko was fine this afternoon, but now she seams dead, doesn't look like she is breathing and is not moving or responsive when held? My sister is very worked and doesn't know what to do
Answered by Jav917 in 4 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Has there been any weight loss?

What is the set up like for the gecko?

Are the eyes opened or closed? Are they sunken in?

Has there been any problems breathing?

What typ of substrate are using in the tank?

What are you feeding the gecko?

Temps in the tank?

Joan

Customer
She hasn't lost any weight, my sister took her to the vets last wk as she had shedding problems as her previous owner wasn't looking after her properly and she was having trouble shedding the skin over her eyes, for which my sister was given cream to apply, which she has been doing. Apart from that the vet said she was fine. I saw her earlier today and my sister had her out to show her to my children and she seamed fine. Then after I went home my mum phoned me to say that it looked like she had died. But I don't understand how as she was fine earlier today? My sister has a heat lamp, 2 hides, one in the warm end and one in the cooler end, feed bowl, water bowl, log under the heat lamp. The temp was about 24 degrees Celsius

The temperature is low for leopard gecko. The temps should be 82-86*F for them to thrive. If she has not moved or responded to the soak I am sure she is gone. When we have an ill leopard Gecko, we use a 50/50 warm water and dioralyte soak to help with dehydration.

Stress is a factor that can make a Leopard gecko ill. The Leo may have had a heart attack being out around the children. The Gecko may have also had a parasite issue that could have overcome the Gecko. I am so sorry for the loss. These issues do occur and can happen without warning. The problem is without a Necropsy(animal autopsy) we will never know the exact reason for the loss. The fact you said that she had a problem with shedding can indicate that there was an underlying factor that had not been discovered that caused the shedding problem, could also be the cause of the death. Please accept my sincerest coldolences. I would be happy to continue with you if you have any further questions. My goal is offer excellent service. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.