I have been wondering this for quite some time no. my cresty is around 4 yrs old and still so tiny, i do not have a

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: i have been wondering this for quite some time no. my cresty is around 4 yrs old and still so tiny, i do not have a scale to weigh. i am not even sure he is a he. i have always fed him cgd an the same company makes a orange colored cube cgd that he seams to like more than the powdered diet. what i am wondering is why is he so small? and is he a he? he does have a small bulge but from what i have seen its the same size as most females. any thoughts? he is a red flame/yellow dalmatian mix. his parents looked very normal sized to me.
Answered by Anna in 16 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I'm sorry to hear Allan may be having a problem. Some additional information will be helpful.

What is the brand name of the food you're using?

Has he grown at all since you've had him?

How often does he shed his skin?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer

the little orange square things are called Nature Zone Bites for Geckos. he used to eat Repashy Superfoods crested gecko diet but suddenly refused to eat it a while back.

He sheds about 1x a week, that i catch at least. he eats his shedding most of the time.

He has grown since i got him. he is was about 2 weeks old when i got him and easily curled up in a egg crate carton. he is about 6-7" long now but so skinny, like no matter how much he eats he still looks juvenile and just doesnt look 'beefy' like all the adults i have ever seen.

Thank you for getting back to me. It sounds like he has a good rate of growth, but that skinniness is a big concern. He may ahve been infected with a parasite before you even got him. to find out, you'll need to take a fresh sample of his droppings in a plastic bag to a reptile vet to be examined. This link will take you to a directory of reptile vets:

http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

If no parasites are found, the vet may need to examine your gecko or do bloodwork to find out what is wrong.

I suggest that you look into getting a glass tank instead of the screen enclosure. A 15 gallon tall is adequate. Screens allow most of the humidity to escape no matter how much misting you do. This is not likely to be the cause of the problem, but it may cause new problems down the road, so give it some consideration.

the Repashy is a better food, so it's too bad he stopped eating it. Also, try feeding him some baby food fruits. Many crested geckos like them. you could even try mixing a bit with Repashy foods to try to get him to eat more.

For the most part, you are doing everything right. When a lizard doesn't do well in spite of having all conditions right, it usually means there is an underlying medical problem. your vet may have to do some investigating to find out what, but checking for parasites is the first step. If you have more questions, let em know by clicking on REPLY. I hope this will turn out to be something minor.

Anna

Please be sure to rate only SMILEY FACES to complete this transaction, or, if you need more help, click on REPLY and let me know what else you need. Thank you.
Hi Rachel, I'm just following up on our conversation about Allan. How is everything going? MsAM
Customer

he/she?? is doing much better. i went and got a new reptile tank that day, it is more glass but with screen top and vents near the bottom to help with airflow. he/she is eating more and already shedding more, obviously gaining weight already and acting more vibrant as well. Just seems so much happier. and i am finding it easier to keep the temp/humidity at the right level as well. i am also giving him 2 options for food. i keep the orange things and the cgd in there at all times for his choice.

Thank you so much for your help. hopefully soon ill know if he/she is a HE or a SHE. maybe maturity will finally be reach.

What wonderful news! I hope Allan will thrive from now on. Thank you for the update.

Anna
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.