Our new cameleon layed eggs last mon, we took them away from her,but we think she has done some thing to her front paws,

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: our new cameleon layed eggs last mon, we took them away from her,but we think she has done some thing to her front paws, they are still so weak, cant crip right,
Answered by Anna in 2 hours 9 years ago
imglogo
Anna
30+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear that your chameleon may be having a problem. Some additional information will be helpful.

What are the temperatures under the basking light and on the cool side of the cage

Does she receive a calcium supplement?

What brand and size of UVB light do you have? Do you know if she had a UVB light in her previous home?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer

basking light 40/ 100 and cool side 28/80. shes repton insect dusting supplement.. her front legs are very weak, she cant hold on for long,

Thank you for getting back to me. The weak legs are a classic sign of Metabolic Bone Disease. It can take years for MBD to progress to the point where it causes symptoms, and once it does, it's very difficult to treat. MBD can result from too little vitamin D, lack of calcium, too much phosphorus, or an imbalance of these and other nutrients. However, the most common cause is lack of UVB light so calcium can be metabolized. Laying eggs makes a lizard very susceptible to MBD because producing eggs depletes the body of calcium. I suspect this condition was developing in your chameleon well before you got her.

From your description of your lights, you do not have a UVB light at all. It's extremely important that you buy an additional light that produces UVB rays. A Reptisun 10.0 in the straight tube style is a good brand that does. If you choose another brand be absolutely certain it provides UVB rays. Don't take the word of pet store personnel, but read it for yourself. Full-spectrum, DayGlo, daylight, UV, and UVA are NOT the same thing. I'm putting a lot of emphasis on this because it's crucial to a reptile’s health. Without this light, Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) will always develop because they won't be able to produce vitamin D. Vitamin supplements are not a good replacement for the proper lighting. Without UVB light, You also cannot reverse MBD once it starts.MBD causes a very slow and painful death. UVB bulbs must be replaced every six months as they lose their effectiveness after that, even though they may still look fine. Light that comes through a window isn't sufficient because the glass filters out the UVB rays.

I'm also going to give you a first aid measure. Buy an electrolyte solution. In the USA, that would be unflavored Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). In the UK, it would be a product called Lectaid, which is sold in pet stores. In Australia, it’s a human product called Dioralyte. This may also be available in the UK. Prepare a shallow bath consisting of 1/2 water and 1/2 electrolyte solution. Add a big spoonful of calcium powder and mix it in as well as possible. Soak your chameleon for about 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Reptiles can absorb the electrolytes and fluids through their vents (where droppings pass out), so make the water deep enough to cover the vent. Be sure to supervise closely.

Besides the vitamin supplement, the insects should also be dusted with plain calcium powder - no added vitamin D3 or phosphorus. You read may want to read the information on this reputable site for more advice on care:

http://www.kingsnake.com/rockymountain/RMHPages/RMHveiled.htm

In most lizards the above steps would eb enough to reverse MBD, but chameleons are especially fragile, and once they get sick, they seldom get well without veterinary help. You can find a directory of UK reptile vets on this site:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/vets.php

Depending on the policy of the store where you bought the chameleon, you may also be able to return her since she was most likely ill when you bought her. The laying of eggs was simply the last straw that made the MBD obvious. I hope that whatever you decide to do, it will work out well. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

Please be sure to rate only SMILEY FACES to complete this transaction, or, if you need more help, click on REPLY and let me know what else you need. Thank you.
Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Anna
logo
logo
logo
30+ years of experience
imglogo
Anna
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.