What bearded dragon was shaking yesterday and fell off of his log and now is hiding and very sad looking and not moving

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: What bearded dragon was shaking yesterday and fell off of his log and now is hiding and very sad looking and not moving about etc
Answered by Jav917 in 3 hours 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Can you tell me how old the Rango is?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Do you have a UVB light? How old, florescent tube or coil, strength and name brand of bulb?

Do you have a basking light?

Temperatures and how measured?

Supplements and how often given?

Type of substrate or bedding?

Diet Prey/Veggies?

Joan

Customer

I believe Rango is 10 months old,

4ft viv

UVB 10% Tube Brand new today as I read it could be this, exo-terra brand 25w, before today it was a Arcadia 12% UVB

Yes Basking lamp

Two temp gauges each end of viv hot end 32 cold end 25

Calcium dust on everyother crickts

Feed crickets once a day

Calcium sand

I put veggies in like occassional apple greens everyday carrot once a week red pepper occassionaly

Rango is exhibiting signs of Metabolic Bone Disease: http://care-bearded-dragons.info/metabolic-bone-disease. You are correct that the UVB can be part of the problem, but also the amount of calcium being given. The crickets should be dusted daily with a good calcium supplement. The calcium and UVB work together to metabolize the calcium in the body into D3 and that is what prevents MBD. I would start dusting the crickets daily. As far as the calcium sand, I would remove it. They sell it as a safe substrate, but very dangerous. It can cause intestinal blockages, corneal ulcers and even skin problems. You can read more about that here: http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/impaction/?page=3

The diet needs a bit of improvement. You should be feeding Collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, escarole,, Rocket greens and curly endives. Butternut squash and various berries are great for a treat. The Veggies should be put in fresh daily, and done about an hour after lights on. They need 20% veggies daily and 80% live prey under a year of age and over a year the percentages reverse.
The live prey should include crickets, silk worms, roaches, goliath worms and phoenix worms.The Meal worms are high in chitin which is the outer shells and can cause a blockage. Super worms and wax worms are like giving the Dragon candy. All veggies and prey should be dusted with calcium daily 5 days a week and vitamins
2 days a week.

For now we need to give the Dragon a soak in 50/50 warm water and plain Dioralyte and you can add some calcium to the soak. Please soak Rango for about 20 mins. If he is eating please be sure to start dusting the prey daily with calcium.

I am going to suggest a Herp Vet visit, because if the is the onset of MBD, Rango may need some special supplements from the Herp Vet. This is a link for Herp Vets in the UK: http://www.livefoods.co.uk/Vets.php or http://www.ukbeardeddragons.co.uk/vet%20directory.htm

Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is 100% Excellent Service for you and Rango. Joan

Customer

Thanks Joan but if I don't use calci sand what should I use? Do you think the new bulb I bought is ok?

I suggest cage carpet, butcher paper or what I use is ceramic tiles where I can take them out and clean them. As you can see from the link, calci sand as well as other loose substrates can be deadly for a Dragon. We want Rango to live a nice long life. Joan

Customer

Ok but is sand stone slabs and some sand ok as i have read in many places that it is fine as a paper floor is not very natural?

The sandstone is fine as is slate. The only sand that I would use if I used a loose substrate would be a sifted play sand that is sold in toys stores for the kids sand box and put it through a find strainer. The Calci Sand is calcium carbonate, which hardens in the intestinal tract over time and becomes like concrete, that is why it is so dangerous. Joan

Customer

Thank yuo for all your help

You are welcome! Please feel free to ask for me for help in the future if needed. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.