I have a Horned Mountain Lizard and today we found him in the bottom of the cage upside down. I thought he was dead and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a Horned Mountain Lizard and today we found him in the bottom of the cage upside down. I thought he was dead and I picked him up and was holding him and talking to my husband about what might have happened and what to do with him when he opened his mouth and hissed. He made a few ever so slight movements and I am not sure if he is even still alive. I have been looking online to see what to do to help him and I have warmed him up and let him sit in pedyolite as that is one of the things I read. What can I do to help him until the vet offices are open?
Answered by Jav917 in 14 mins 9 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

Is it a mountain Horned Dragon?

Can you tell me about the set up?

Diet?

Supplements?

Substrate?

Temps?

Has he been eating and passing stool?

Are his eyes sunken in?

Can you see rise and fall of the chest?

Did he respond when you put in in the soak?

Joan

Customer

Yes I am sorry it is a MOuntain Horned Dragon. As of yesterday we moved him and his mate to a custom cage me and my dad built with a few live plant plenty to climb on and a running water fall for them to play in. I have a UBV light at the top of the cage and I normally turn it off at night, however the last two days I have left it on because I was not sure the tank was providing enough heat since two sides and the top are mess net and basically open.I also have a heat lamp that stays on. In the old tank the temps stayed around the 80's I would turn the light off when it would get to the 90s and back on before it hit the 70's. I have only had him 4 weeks and I am now aware I should have taken him to the vet first thing. I mist them often and I use coconut substrate on the floor. As this is a new cage I am still working out the lights and humidity trying to get it right but is has not gotten colder then the 70's were the temp gage is and it is on the other side of the tank away from the light. Humidity in this new take has been harder to adjust and I hope the fountain and plant help that. If his eyes are sunken in I can not tell as well as I can not tell if he is breathing but when I look at my other one I can barley see her breath.

He did not really respond to the soak and only had him in a few minutes as i did not really know. I am afraid he may be gone but like I said I thought he was gone the first time and he hissed at me and swished his tail a little bit after that. I did give him a few drops of the water/pediolite mixture and it went down and did not seem to come up.

Just Not sure.

Can you tell me more about the UVB light? Is it a florescent tube or a compact coil bulb or does it look like a flood light or an incandescent type bulb? Strength of the bulb and name brand. The reason I ask is UVB does not give off heat and it is used to metabolize calcium in the body.

Can you tell me if the Dragons lims are flacid and floppy?

I will answer once I get this information.

Joan

Joan41294.9223987963
Customer

My UVB looks like an incandescent bulb I got at the pet store I am not sure about the other details as I thew the box away. My husband says he thinks the box said it was a compact florescent light but not sure. I also have a heat light is a red one I also got from the store, not sure the watt.

I can move its limbs easily they are not stiff but they are not just extra floppy. When I open is mouth which I have to force open it closes but not snap.

Sorry I can not tell you more about the lights. They were my chrsitmas presents and I did not know I was getting them so I was not really prepared and have done most of my learning about them on the fly. I have had Iguanas for years but these guys are a little different.

The UVB bulb does not give off heat and I am afraid that the bulb the sold you may be a full spectrum bulb rather than a UVB bulb. A UVB bulb does not give off heat and gives a spectrum of UVB rays that cannot be seen, but metabolize calcium in the Dragon's body to prevent Metabolic Bone Disease. This is a link that explains about lighting: http://www.anapsid.org/uvtable.html THis is the bulb I suggest for the health of the Dragons: Reptisun 10.0: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=6016+6028+15468&pcatid=15468&r=47

I would try anothe soak in a 50/50 Pedialyte and warm water soak for 15 mins to see if he responds. You will need to support him in the soak, so he does not slip under. Once out of the soak, please pinch a foot, to see if you get a reaction. You can also tap by the eye on the side to see if you get any movement. If he does not respond, he may be gone.

The problem with Moutain Horned Dragons is mot are wild caught and not captive bred and these Dragons come with massive medical issues which include parasites which will drag the animal down. Most likely that is what has happened here. YOu can read more about Mountain Horned Dragons here: http://www.froggieb.com/MHDCaresheet.html

Froggie B is a well known Expert on MHD. I am sorry that you are having this problem, but when you get any new reptile it is always wise to have a Herp Vet check it out immediately. Please let me know if you have further questions. My goal is 100% Excellent service. Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.