I have a crested gecko and about 3 to 4 weeks ago, he started acting really strange. He started shedding more

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a crested gecko and about 3 to 4 weeks ago, he started acting really strange. He started shedding more frequently, won't eat, acts like he is having a seizure, and opening his mouth all the time. I then discovered the female had babies, and removed him from the cage as I was told she was probably attacking him. He can't walk without falling over, and he looks like he is dying. I am giving him meal worms, and peaches, misting him, and I feel bad, and don't know what to do at this point. He has to be suffering.
Answered by Jav917 in 53 mins 10 years ago
imglogo
Jav917
Pet Specialist
logo

Specialities include: Reptile Veterinary, Herp Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Amphibian Veterinary

I'm sorry to hear that your gecko is not well. Some additional information will be useful.

What is the temperature int he cage?

What is the humidity level?

Do you provide supplemental calcium?

Thank you.

Anna

Customer

The temp is 76, right now he is out of his normal cage, so I have to mist him. yes I dust the crickets, and put in peaches. Like I said this all started now when babies were hatched. I did not find the babies until Tuesday, and then removed him from the cage.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am going to opt out of your question so it can be answered by Joan, another of our reptile experts. She'll be with you shortly.

Anna

MsAM41206.6449068056
Customer

ok

Can you look inside the male's mouth and you will see two lumps in the back of the throat. Those are calcium reserves do they look depleted(the bumps would be very small) Have you had him into a Herp Vet?

Joan

Customer

no i cannot see - like i said before this behavior started when I will assume the babies were born and he stopped eating,and shedding. Could this be as a result of the female attacking him. I give them calicum all the time.

It is possible the Crestie was injured by the female, but usually a reptile is not protective of the babies. This would have happened if he continued to try to breed with her.

Depletion of calcium can cause the shaking and the weakness. At this point I would give him a soak in a luke warm soak of 50/50 water and plain Pedialyte. Soak for 10-15 mins. this will help with dehydration. Next I want to get some repasy Crested diet and mix with some baby food fruit and calcium powder and try and feed.

The Crested should see the Herp Vet asap. for a full check up to see what he needs to help him. Keep him misted and keep trying to feed the diet I have suggested. This is a link about Repashy diets you can get: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crested-gecko-diet.html

If you need a Herp Vet, please supply a State and I can locate one for you.

Joan

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Jav917
logo
logo
logo
Pet Specialist
imglogo
Jav917
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.